Safari Club question

Lungpopper

GLASS,GLASS,GLASS
Staff member
Mar 2, 2011
Lakeside
schoutdoors.com
Are there any Safari Club members on here? I would like some info on the Baja Blacktail.
What are the boundaries?
What are the minimum measurements for the Baja Blacktail?
How big are the bucks at the top of the list?

My buddy found a shed in the desert of cabo. 5x with an eye gaurd. It's impressive

Funny you ask. My father in law is doing a little research on on hunting the deer and quail on the pacific side. Will report back as we gather data. I might just have to do a hunt next year

I signed up to get the info. The #1 - 183 7/8", #2 - 167 5/8", #3 - 116 7/8". Still couldn't find the actual boundaries, just says from the Southern border of California to Cabo San Lucas. Not very specific as to the boundaries.

Baja Southern Mule deer!? Met my guide on my last spearfishing trip to BOLA last week. He dropped a nice 4/5 late 13'.

Forgive me if I'm wrong but the blacktail range doesn't cover baja. Ventura is the closest you'll get to a Baja blacktail. Unless these deer were introduced recently as a transplant operation such as the DBHR on Isla de Carmen, Loreto B.C.

Were you talking about SCI? Here is the link for their boundaries and species of deer they recognize. A little different than CBH or B&C-P&Y

http://www.scirecordbook.org/species/index.cfm?action=detail&specID=M48&rtnURL=%2Fbrowse%2Findex.cfm%3Faction%3Dspecies%26sectionID%3D%26keyword%3D%26filter%3D68%26orderby%3Dcommonname%26orderdir%3Dasc%26startrow%3D1

Lungpopper said:
I signed up to get the info. The #1 - 183 7/8", #2 - 167 5/8", #3 - 116 7/8". Still couldn't find the actual boundaries, just says from the Southern border of California to Cabo San Lucas. Not very specific as to the boundaries.
Do they have pics of the top three bucks?

Lungpopper said:
Were you talking about SCI? Here is the link for their boundaries and species of deer they recognize.A little different than SCH or B&C-P&Y

http://www.scirecordbook.org/species/index.cfm?action=detail&specID=M48&rtnURL=%2Fbrowse%2Findex.cfm%3Faction%3Dspecies%26sectionID%3D%26keyword%3D%26filter%3D68%26orderby%3Dcommonname%26orderdir%3Dasc%26startrow%3D1

Okay so basically SCI is considering any Baja deer a Baja blacktail. I wonder if this decision was biologist research based or is this just a group of trophey hungry hunters trying to force another category that they can dominate! Tough to say but I'm am gonna reach out after some more intel on this all of a sudden new sub species. I can personally confirm that two groups of deer I saw on my drive south last week that forced a turn around for extended viewing were mule deer without confusion. First group was in in the Palomar valley and the second set was near cativina.

Whatever the case sounds like they are trying to expand a market that really isn't there yet.

My understanding is that this new category was started two - three years ago. I have no idea if they started it because of genetic testing or not.
When I heard about it I was intrigued, hoping that our coastal dear wouldn't have to compete with the Desert mule deer or the Rocky Mountain mule deer. But that's not how it turned out once I found the map.

infidel said:
Yeah [size=12pt]other than a couple years ago[/size] our D16 deer struggle to get recognized like the rest of the state.

Well this safari club addition has got me bothered now and want to get deeper on this.

Have you seen some good bucks from D16?

Good to me for our local deer would be @ 100", book class I would say starts at 120". I don't care if its a 3x3 or a 5x5 or any other combination.

Maybe we should start our own record book on the website. We could do a book for bow and a separate book for rifle.
We could use CBH boundaries. I haven't found a record book for rifle that uses the same boundaries. The CBH boundaries are about as good as it gets for California deer.

Lungpopper said:
Good to me for our local deer would be @ 100", book class I would say starts at 120". I don't care if its a 3x3 or a 5x5 or any other combination.

Maybe we should start our own record book on the website. We could do a book for bow and a separate book for rifle.
We could use CBH boundaries. I haven't found a record book for rifle that uses the same boundaries. The CBH boundaries are about as good as it gets for California deer.
:D :D ;D ;D

I like big deer. The kind u dream about. When I see a good one I basically lose my mind

So are there any hunting opportunities for deer in mexico just south of the San Diego county border? I have been told by a few old timers that lived in Mexico that there are big deer down there and that population of deer is fairly good. I have always wondered about the deer hunting down there and if there are guides offering hunts.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu