SAFETY FIRST

Well at least it ain't lead.... ... How in the hell do you live with yourself after shooting someone while hunting.... Dove hunting taboot! WTF that makes me really really mad. There would have been a fist fight. There just isn't any excuse for that. NONE. Thank the lord you are alright enough to post this. @MAG 1 Stay healthy friend I hope the recovery does not involve a doctor and his tools.
Lead shot, remember this was last yearScreenshot_20181123-204406_Chrome.jpg
Look at the pellet on the left

Will safety glasses help with high velocity with a lot of kenetic energy.
It sucks to get shot but joking aside, wear eye protection! Shit can and will happen and you can dig bird shot out of a lot of places and laugh about it but not your eyes. Yes impact rated glasses will stop small shot at a reasonable range

It sucks to get shot but joking aside, wear eye protection! Shit can and will happen and you can dig bird shot out of a lot of places and laugh about it but not your eyes. Yes impact rated glasses will stop small shot at a reasonable range

Should I wear safety glasses over my seeing glasses when I go out?

I do need mine to see far unfortunately..can anyone who wears glasses while upland or waterfowl hunting recommend saftey glasses they use over their regular ones?
in machine shops & fabrication shops guys will buy eye glases that are made to work in shops.. that are both safety & adusted for your eye sight, not cheap tho....

Reactions: HortoTheSlayer
Should I wear safety glasses over my seeing glasses when I go out?
Just make sure when you order your "seeing glasses" that you specifically tell your opthamologist you want high impact resistant Polycarbonate lenses. Explain that you hunt and shoot and they will know what you mean. That way you don't have to wear safety glasses over top of them because the lenses they will have will be those strong ones you can take to the range no problemo.

Also when ordering your seeing glasses, you have to choose which coatings to have on them. Be sure to order anti-reflective coating and UV protection coatings. There's also things like contrast-enhancing coatings. A good pair of glasses setup for hunting aren't going to be cheap. They ding ya for every little feature you add on, on top of the difficulty of your particular prescription, as well as the cost of the frames. Make sure the frames are not reflective. And you should get them with a very wide and tall and big lense shape to them. helps a lot to keep wind out of your eyes and helps a lot to keep bugs from being able to get at your eyes when on your sit.

Personally what's worked best for me so far, for a hunting specific setup is to have a Bifocal setup. Where the majority of the lense is setup leaning more toward distance vision. Then... we made the close-up part of the lense much less taller than normal... so I could still read thing up close back at camp... but would have to be looking down thru that only like 12mm or 13mm tall area of close focus.

The main point being... having a progressive prescription for hunting, for me... was NOT optimal. And you definitely DO NOT want to be sporting progressives when trying to do something like riding a Mountain Bike. It makes judging distances of up close obstacles very sketchy when you're hauling a$$ and travelling at faster rates of speed.

Always bring lense wiper clothes... multiples...with you. Buncha pollen and other airborne dirt mixes with your sweat and water vapor on your glasses. Make darn well sure to keep the part of your glasses that's nearer to your nose clean! That's the part you aim with! Both with Bow and Rifle. Clean that part first. If ya can't clean the other parts, sorta no big whoop, but that inside edge by your nose is vital.

Last edited:
For efficiency and safety I have two rules too follow while outdoors in my presence. Rule number one, do everything I say. Rule number two, refer to rule number one. :laughing:

Don't forget the iced down brewski's… sorry being sarcastic. PLEASE wait till you are back at the hotel, motel, holiday inn and then get ripped. Reason I say this is, it's very common to drive around and see guys drinking beer while hunting, accidents do happen and a little head change will make them more common.

Oh yeah and yearly thing we say... respect the fields, slow down on the dirt roads (farmers hate dust clouds), pick up your trash including spent hulls, it'll be hot n humid so bring your dog some water, rattlers might be out at greylight. Good Luck, i'll be out switching out cam cards looking for that ghost.

Last year, my first time ever Dove hunting, I went to a spot that was super crowded..a family was hunting together, and this one girl tracked a low flying bird towards my direction almost aiming at knee level. Thanks god she didn't fire.....I don't think I ever have jumped so high in my life...The father corrected the girl immediately.

I am lefty but could not find a left handed shotgun in my price range and most articles I read said shooting a right handed shotgun for a lefty was not big deal. The fear of a shell or even powder jumping on my eyes bothers me so I wear glasses, dark when sunny, clear when not... and LONG PANTS!....its freaking hot out there but between bushes, bugs and getting peppered...I am more than happy wearing long pants and long sleeves.

Hope every one reads this , You can never be to careful ! I think he should have taken you to the emergency room ASAP .

Last year, my first time ever Dove hunting, I went to a spot that was super crowded..a family was hunting together, and this one girl tracked a low flying bird towards my direction almost aiming at knee level. Thanks god she didn't fire.....I don't think I ever have jumped so high in my life...The father corrected the girl immediately.

I am lefty but could not find a left handed shotgun in my price range and most articles I read said shooting a right handed shotgun for a lefty was not big deal. The fear of a shell or even powder jumping on my eyes bothers me so I wear glasses, dark when sunny, clear when not... and LONG PANTS!....its freaking hot out there but between bushes, bugs and getting peppered...I am more than happy wearing long pants and long sleeves.

Damn that is a close call! I am a lefty as well and have a right handed shotgun. Have not had any issues. One guy I spoke to said he's been shooting right handed guns his whole life and never got hit with a casing before. Steve Rinella from Meateater said he was shooting right handed guns up until his 30's when he could afford a left handed gun but never had problems shooting right handed guns before either. But like a couple of the guys on here mentioned, its safer to get some protection for your glasses as well. Big 5 has some that go over your eyeglasses for $8.99.

Damn that is a close call! I am a lefty as well and have a right handed shotgun. Have not had any issues. One guy I spoke to said he's been shooting right handed guns his whole life and never got hit with a casing before. Steve Rinella from Meateater said he was shooting right handed guns up until his 30's when he could afford a left handed gun but never had problems shooting right handed guns before either. But like a couple of the guys on here mentioned, its safer to get some protection for your glasses as well. Big 5 has some that go over your eyeglasses for $8.99.
Do some eye dominance tests.. I always shot right handed but was unsure since I played baseball for 13 years and swung lefty.. turned out I was right eye dominant and just sucked at shooting lol

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu