San diego deer subspecies

D16hunter

Jun 28, 2012
San Diego
Are our deer mule deer or blacktails or a mixture and do they deserve there own catagory in the record books???

We have the southern mule deer and desert mule deer. Correct me if I'm wrong but P&Y, B&C does not recognized the different subspecies of mulies. I believe CBH is the only record keeper that records the subspecies.

Our local deer are known as the Pacific Hybrid. I have spent quite a bit of time researching records for the Pacific Hybrid. The CBH has the only book that I can find. Looks like the CDA (California Deer Association) is working on a book that will include our local deer. But there is not a lot of information out there.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe the pacific hybrid is a term used to separate the deer by CBH and CDA fir scoring purposes? There are over 5 different subspecies in California alone and the deer in our parts are scientifically recognized as the Southern mule deer. When the DFG used to conduct scientific data collection on deer, I was told we have the southern, desert, and a cross between the two (lagunas, borrego, parts of riverside,etc.).

There is a PDF on the DFG website about Deer Hunting in California and it gives a lot of great info on all the deer in California and how to tell them apart. I printed it out once. Good stuff ! Post the link if you can find it.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu