San Felipe WA oakgrove unit

Jlane1978

Jun 22, 2015
Temecula
My brother and I drew a quail/chukar hunt. This will me by first time hunting either. Has anyone hunted here

Attachments

• 4A0AA2B8-4991-406B-9A13-53BE3EE38EB7.jpeg
    4A0AA2B8-4991-406B-9A13-53BE3EE38EB7.jpeg
    125.6 KB · Views: 51
I drew the same hunt 2 years ago. I'll pm you some information. I'd temper your expectations though. On the day of my hunt, only 3 birds were taken by the group of the 20+ hunters. I hiked my ass off and only saw one small covey.

Reactions: Jlane1978
Chuckar, first hunt, exciting and hard work. Every hunt there after revenge and hard work. Spend lots of time chasing them up to the ride, get a few shots, maybe, then they fly right down to where you started your up hill track. I hate checker.

I was there on Sep 6 for the dove hunt and I ran into several quail coveys. I'll pm you the location. Last year I hunted quails there too and did pretty good.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Are there sections of the Oak Grove unit where hunting is only allowed with this special draw? I can't tell from the information on the CDFW site, but it looks like both parts of the area are open to hunting.

Are there sections of the Oak Grove unit where hunting is only allowed with this special draw? I can't tell from the information on the CDFW site, but it looks like both parts of the area are open to hunting.
The San Felipe WA Oak Grove unit is by draw only. The lower San Felipe Wildlife Area by Banner is open to the public, no special draw needed.

I hunted it last year, partner up with someone if you are going by yourself and spread out so you can see the ones he kicks up and he can see the ones you kick up. Or stop and watch another hunter walking and you will see them flush, then just start thinning them out. They will flush 150 yards in front of you and will never know they are there without a second set of eyes, or a dog.

I was watching another hunter last year and he flushed about 15-20 about 200 yards in front of him, never saw them and went in another direction then I went and chased them down. I asked him after the hunt if he saw them flush and he said he didn’t see one all day.

you really need a dog to hunt that area those are some smart birds in there
Having a dog definitely helps, but not needed. I've been lucky enough to hunt there these last two years w/o a dog and almost limited out. Just be ready to walk a lot and make sure you have plenty of water and steel shot.

Reactions: ilovesprig
I did the dove hunt this year, very few doves. Now quail that was a different story. I saw two large coveys right near the parking area. Be prepared to shoot right away. If possible be the first group out . It will be warm, bring plenty of water. The area is large so be prepared to do some walking.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu