San Jacinto - best blind to take non hunting female for first time hunt?

I shoot a SBEII for all birds. The last couple years I been shooting the
3-1/2” 3’s & 4’s for ducks. I got a great price on cases; not so I have more payload. The 4’s crush birds at close range. Which I like to do !
For geese I’m shooting 1’s that pattern better in my gun than BB’s.
The last couple years I’ve got my nephew with me in the field. I’m teaching him right; no sky busting, not shooting at birds that you may not be able to recover wounded even though I have a dog.
We haven’t had the great numbers harvested like I hear some do.
Recently we had a banner goose hunt. No big take numbers but multiple times birds landing in the decoys while several hundred milled around us. I wanted all of them on the ground. No shots passed 20 yards, all with feet down backpedaling in. Some died where they landed ! Lol !!
Best part was seeing the look on my nephew’s face as he watched birds waffling down, wind blowing their feathers, some dropping almost completely vertical. I kept asking him “are you seeing these birds ?” “ Oh yeah, OMG ! One time I called the shot and he almost forgot to shoot cuz he was so taken aback by the birds dropping out of the sky.
In those moments I could care less how many birds were killed ! The spectical and sharing it with my nephew was reward enough !!

During my hunt, I was explaining to my wife what getting ducks to "work" was. Calling wing tips and tail feathers.

I would see a duck in the distance, and call. Several times, I got the duck to turn. It would fly over us still too high. So, I would call again, and it would turn coming a little bit lower. Everything good so far. However, the most I could get was one or two passes

Because...

Every single time, before I could get it to come in range, some knucklehead in another blind would shoot at it way too high.

She asked me if that made me mad. I said, "No". If it did, I would be mad all the time every single hunt at SJ.

During my hunt, I was explaining to my wife what getting ducks to "work" was. Calling wing tips and tail feathers.

I would see a duck in the distance, and call. Several times, I got the duck to turn. It would fly over us still too high. So, I would call again, and it would turn coming a little bit lower. Everything good so far. However, the most I could get was one or two passes

Because...

Every single time, before I could get it to come in range, some knucklehead in another blind would shoot at it way too high.

She asked me if that made me mad. I said, "No". If it did, I would be mad all the time every single hunt at SJ.
The Blinds are tight at SJ. You really are at the mercy of those around you in many locations. However, there are Blinds at SJ that are better picks that do give you the time to work the ducks. This is way less of an issue at the other refuge where Blinds are spaced out.

John

Reactions: ilovesprig

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu