Sand bass

D16hunter

Jun 28, 2012
San Diego
Went out on my buddies boat today for a bit to mess around and try to catch sand bass I caught 5 he caught 6 and our other buddy caught 2.
aa615a586e6f04359006fb4acbc6e949.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ilovesprig said:
Good going Luke.................Any keepers?
All but one of them were. Bad picture but this one was barely legal. For a size reference that swim bait is 5 inches. We didn't keep any tho. We were trying to catch halibut. My buddies went out last week and caught 6 legal but only got one in the boat because they had no gaff.

Nice.....I find that nets are better for halibut depending on the size of the halibut & boat..... ;)

Attachments

• 013.JPG
    013.JPG
    847.5 KB · Views: 21
  • 015.JPG
    015.JPG
    842.8 KB · Views: 19
Nets are good on a bigger boat but I feel like one would get in the way on a little 14 foot aluminum with 3 people on it

KID CREOLE said:
Check the regs, pretty sure a landing net is required
Only if it's a short fish gaffing halibut is a common practice on sport boats if it's a legal.

KID CREOLE said:
Check the regs, pretty sure a landing net is required
Hmmmm looked it up and it is required. Weird with a short we'd just cut the line or pull the fish in by the line to get him in the boat. To many damn laws in this state. Can't wait til I move to Tennessee

I hand grab halibut because landing nets are pita. Gotta use a fine mesh net or you'll shred those young 'buts tails

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu