SB1457

Matagi

Mar 1, 2011
Check this out guys.

http://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/faces/billNavClient.xhtml?bill_id=201120120SB1457

Talked to DFG yesterday and as far as they know you still need to buy pig tags in SD. It doesn't sound like it was fully passed.

This bill would authorize a person to take a wild pig in San Diego County at any time without procuring either a hunting license and a wild pig tag or a depredation permit during the period from July 1, 2012, until June 30, 2016, inclusive.

Sorry but this can not be good. It needs to be amended to at least require a hunting license. I can see groups of drunk ass hats roaming the woods pig hunting and shooting at anything that moves.....

Aeon said:
This bill would authorize a person to take a wild pig in San Diego County at any time without procuring either a hunting license and a wild pig tag or a depredation permit during the period from July 1, 2012, until June 30, 2016, inclusive.

Sorry but this can not be good. It needs to be amended to at least require a hunting license. I can see groups of drunk ass hats roaming the woods pig hunting and shooting at anything that moves.....

I agree.

I found this other link that seems to give the status of the bill
http://www.aroundthecapitol.com/Bills/SB_1457/20112012/

Looks like they are still hammering it out.

Aeon said:

I get what you're saying but people will still have to put forth the time and effort to bag one and from what I've seen on quite a few forums, there aren't that many killed each year in SD County.

I'm not too worried about it. I only see hunters, who would already have a hunting license anyway, not needing to buy a pig tag.

I would like to be able to just kill a pig if I saw one in SD county and not have to worry about a tag for it. Although they seem to be very elusive.

It's definitely not a easy hunt. The population is most definitely scattered over a large area and holding tight to deep canyons and riverbeds.

My two cents.

It’s a start, but I doubt the 20 bucks for a pig tag is stopping anyone from hunting them now. The no hunting license is fine if they have at least gone to a hunter safety class and, or have had a hunting license in the past, or you are a property owner killing one on your own property. The big positive change is that it says “Any Time” This means you can hunt them at night when they are out and about. But in other states where they hunt pigs at night it is done over bait with buck shot or with hog dogs. Rifle hunting at night is not safe or really possible. So without legalizing the taking of pigs at Any Time, and by Any Miens the advantage is still to the nocturnal pigs. So with this half ass change there will be people hunting at night that have never had any safety class. Not smart and I doubt that many pigs will be removed by this little change.

Our hunting laws exist to protect the states game animals from being over hunted or taken when they are defenseless like at night, over bait, or caught in a spotlight. So it’s simple. If you want to really put forth an effort to eradicate them they need to remove all the regular laws that protect them and make the law read “ Any Time, and by Any Miens”. Is this hunting? NO! Is it sportsmen like? NO! ,but that’s not what this is about. This is about eradicating none native pigs, putting some tasty meat on the table, and not spending tax payer money to hire sharp shooters and helicopters to let the pork rot in the woods.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu