Scent Killers

Bowhunter_619

Sep 24, 2011
Temecula
Who uses them? If so, which one do you use?

I use the Scent-A-Way advanced formula (odorless). I started using it last year and was sceptical of the odorless formulas, until this morning. My sons and I went to hunt our blind I had setup, (we were a little late, got there at 5:35 exactly) unfortunately my buddy who I showed where the blind was at reluctantly occupied it with his new found buddy, (lesson learned, no hard feelings) we should have been earlier. My boys and I walked back to truck and I explained what happened, my 9 yr old understood and said "thats cool dad", my 7 yr old said "are they gonna leave? why are we leaving, its ours right"? Thats another story though.

We went and setup where I had seen deer moving on a finger for the last month or so. We sprayed each other down pretty good (after they ate pop tarts and a bunch of other sweet smelling items), we weren't 30 minutes into our setup when a nice fat doe rolled thru, I was getting ready to draw down on her with my 20 yd pin, when my 9 yr old got my attention pointed at a pair of twins following her ( never realized that you can smell them before you see them). We let her live another day to take of her yearlings.

Point of story is that I have never been this close to deer with my kids on my side without using the Scent-A-Way formula. I am 110% behind it after being able to be this close to deer with kids that has been eating all types of junk and the deer never know your there.

Ahhh I'm 50/50 on whether or not its that effective. I use the soap and spray but ultimately I try to play the wind just as much.

In a stand it may help because you are stationary and unable to manage the wind changes. I do a lot of spot and stock hunting and for me staying upwind is the biggest and most effective way to manage human scent.

I store all my camo in a scent free bag and stick in a fresh earth wafer in the bag. Then when I go out I use the scent a way fresh earth scent spray. But at the end of the day you need to stay down wind.

I use the soap, deodorant, spray, wash the cloths put them in a plastic bag. I think it helps to minimize your scent, but it wont eliminate it (You still need to breath). I do this for archery when sitting in the stand.
Spot and stock I don't worry about it, play the wind.

Sooo did the guy shoot anything from your spot?? Don't think I would share any others with him.

i use the soap and the spray also...i think it helps ..but like said before..by the end of the day..you gotta play the wind...because hunting in 90 degree days.. nothing is gonna help ya like the wind after sweating a bit...

Lungpopper said:
I use the soap, deodorant, spray, wash the cloths put them in a plastic bag. I think it helps to minimize your scent, but it wont eliminate it (You still need to breath). I do this for archery when sitting in the stand.
Spot and stock I don't worry about it, play the wind.

[b]Sooo did the guy shoot anything from your spot?? Don't think I would share any others with him.
[/b]

LP, he didn't shoot anything as no deer was recorded as coming out of that training area yesterday. BTW I took the blind down today on our way out the area.

Thanks for all the replies guys. I agree completely about hunting the wind; the boys got a chance to hear a buck snort today, heck I didn't even realize they could be that loud. If it was gun season we would have been done with our G10 tag today.

I use Scent killer autumn formula. Its true that u have to pay attention to the wind, but its kind of hard when ur hunting from a treestand. I fi'm rifle hunting, i dont really worry about it, but i still spray it on. It does work! One of the bucks i killed last year, i shot it at 8yds from the ground. Good Luck! 8)

I use the dead down wind soap/shampoo and deodorant. I also added a masking scent this year. They do work...but it's always best to play the wind as best as possible.

Great picture with your kids! I love seeing that!

Lesson learned on showing people your spots! :mad:

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu