Scope knocked off zero

msteiger

Oct 16, 2012
San Diego
Hey dudes. I put in 8 miles on D16 yesterday, for nothing. But the hard part was, I tripped over the gate at the trail head and fell. Hard. Nice way to start a long hike.

I looked over the rig (Ruger American .270 with Leupold VX1, a la Fine Firearms) and everything seemed OK; no evidence of the scope slipping or damage. Just a bit of scuff on the barrel. But I was worried about the zero. I just hit up the range in poway. At 50 yards I put two shots 1/3 inch apart, 8" high and 1" right. I moved it back on center, 2 shots at a time.

I was able to keep each pair of shots fairly well grouped. But I tend to get fatigued after 10 shots or so. By the end, shooting 3, I would put two together and send a flier on the third. It was hard to tell if the scope was creeping or if it was the creep behind the trigger (me). I left with not a great deal of confidence in the rig or myself. Need to go back soon, but for now also need to finish out D16.

So, watchya all think of that? Does it seem normal for a zero to move from a fall? Re-zeroed, should it be OK going forward? Does it sound like the scope was still functional, but knocked off zero, if I could make 5 pairs of ragged holes?

I'd love to hear from the pros on this one.

i am not a pro but i play one on TV.

did you mount the scope or was it done by FFA?

I hate it when scopes get knocked of their zero. I'm a pro at tripping on flat surfaces so I've missed several bucks because of it. At least it didn't ruin an opportunity at a deer.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Matt, sorry about your fall. Till John and the others chime in, did any dirt get under your barrel, between it and the stock fore end? Is everything still torqued down between stock and action? Just saying it may be the rifle itself (rigid connection of stock and action, to allow free floating barrel) rather than the scope. That's pretty quick to check with a plain piece of paper and a torque screwdriver.
Just some thoughts.

Invest in a sled or rent one at the range to check zero......it sounds like it could be you with your 10 round limit

Did the rifle hit the gate at all? I am thinking take it out and shoot it again at 100 with the same ammo you originally dialed it in. It would take a good hit to knock a Leupold off its zero. IMO

Thanks for the feedback guys. I will answer the follow up questions in order:
1) Aeon - scope was mounted by FFA. So degreased, lock tite, everything is done to pro standards.
2) Don - Barrel was clean; just looked down it with a good light and inspected the muzzle before firing. Good suggestion on bedding screws. I just checked and they're tight. Could easily slide a dollar bill down to the one in the fore grip, but not past.
3) MJB - I'm flinching at 10, so I doubt I'm getting better with each shot after. The fact that I could make almost touching pairs as I zeroed it in made me hopeful it's not completely broken.
4) Cali - I was holding the rifle in my right hand, at about the breach, with the bolt slight upward and the gun parallel to the ground. When I fell the gun stayed parallel to the ground and slammed down hard on the non bolt side. Didn't hit the gate, just ground. I have only ever shot 1 ammo (Federal soft point 130 gr) through it, including today.

I also just tried my best to budge the scope by hand and it's firm. Between moving the PoA and falling apart at 10, I was hitting where I want pretty solidly. So I'm thinking I might be good for now, but that the fall definitely knocked me off zero. Don graciously offered to lend me his lead sled and hep me check it. I will take him up on it after deer season.

Good luck out there guys. Watch out for gates.

Bring it by the shop and we will double check everything for integrity. Are the rings Leopold PRW's? I don't remember...

John that's awesome, thanks. I can come by tomorrow morning. I can't find any brand or numbering on the rings and I don't recall what they are. But I just googled Leopold PRWs and it looks like them.

Will checking integrity change the zero point at all, or is it just a good looking over?

We will put a calibrated torque wrench on all twelve torx screws to see if anything has changed. The PRW's are torqued to 22 inch pounds. Will also check with the LaserLite to see where it is at. We should be able to see if anything is out of whack. We will check the torque on the stock screws as well.

The gun, scope and the rings are pretty much bullet proof. The setup you have would have to be banged awful hard to make change in POI.

Don't worry, scopes can get get knocked off a lot. After every 3-4 hunts I always shoot 1 round at 100 yards just to make sure I'm still on target. I missed my very first bobcat due to this, same situation sorta.. Just no gate.
Stay safe, and goodluck for the rest of your season!

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu