Scope pad? Advice needed?

Gcddarren

Sep 23, 2014
So I got scoped by my Rem 7mm and it has effected my shooting? Im a little hesitant now. Has anyone had this problem and gotten over it? Do they make a rubber eye pad for the scope? If they make a pad, is it worth it, and does it work? And yes I could probably watch a YouTube video but I would rather hear from someones first hand experience with this.

It sounds like the gun does not fit you. And maybe the "eye box" (eye relief) on your scope is wrong or not long enough. Tell us what your setup is. And take a picture so we can see your rig (take a picture of your moon scar on your head too ;D)

And yes you can work through it if you get the gun set correctly.

Wow vintage 1970's Redfield Widefield scope. In good shape they are worth more now than when purchased 40 years ago.

I think I would start with a newer scope that has a larger eyebox (so you don't have to crawl up on the scope). Generally when mounting scopes, the back of the ocular will be set back to the end of the rifle tang. This works with most modern scopes and average size folks. The picture shows your Redfield being mounted about an inch or so beyond the tang. Also do you know if the stock has been cut? A short stock could be an issue as well.

The Remington 700 is a great rifle...

Recently I was shooting my buddy's RPK and the scope has a rubber eye cup on it that u actually put your eye against. Felt weird to me but its Soviet style I guess. But yea listen to NBK, just thought I'd share. I know a couple guys with scope scars.

Looks like the same scope I have on my W/S 7mm. Is it the range finder scope? You can move the scope forward a bit or change your chin placement on the stock so your eye is not so close the eye piece. Or as NBK said but a newer scope unless you want to keep it the same way your father had it. If so then go with moving it forward.

Better to move the scope than to move your cheek weld IMO. looks like there must be plenty of room forward.

I got scope bit once when I first started shooting big stuff. It was because I was playing around with different shooting positions and got down in an almost prone position. I believe (could be mistaken) there is a range to eye relief. On that particular gun I was shooing, the inside of the eye relief range overlapped with the outside of the scope bucking range (which is also affected by how you are holding the gun).

So I would ask you what happened when you got bit? It probably wasn't the only time you fired the gun right? You may need to move the scope, as others have suggested, but you might also analyze how it happened and avoid that situation in the future. As for curing gun shyness, time and experience will do it. I find that not shooting my gun for a month, I almost completely forget how it feels (and sometimes hurts). I believe that time away is important for me personally, to not develop too much flinch.

Don't be embarrassed. I think it happens to many people. Especially if you are new to shooting or shooting other people's (unfamiliar) guns.

It happened laying prone shooting slightly up...I think that is why it happened? But I would really would like to go to a range with someone that has experience with sighting in and adjusting scopes. It needs to be done but I have some time till next deer season.

Gcddarren said:
It happened laying prone shooting slightly up...I think that is why it happened? But I would really would like to go to a range with someone that has experience with sighting in and adjusting scopes. It needs to be done but I have some time till next deer season.

A-ha! I thought so. I haven't shot prone since it happened to me. Still trying to figure out wth I'm doing myself...

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu