Scouting D15: MTB/Water/Time?

KingSlug

Jul 27, 2015
I have been on and off scouting since July, I have seen my share of deer but few bucks. I am in looking in the Trabuco area of CNF. I have mapped out all the water on GPS in the district (I have combed google maps, and and every blog on hiking to confirm water) I been watching 3 locations pretty well. I have been getting in place by 0430, then sit scope and drink my coffee until 0800 then go to work. Seeing some large does but not bucks.

I am usually out by the time the first MTB riders are getting ready or just on the trail. My brother-in-law a really hardcore MTBR riding every day (part of his job), is seeing deer everywhere and marking them with an old SPOT I gave him. Am I going too early and should stay in the field til 1000? Also he is spotting deer where I cant find water, unless the deer are moving pretty good distances.

On the water front my trail cameras aren't too close to water because I saw some human sign near it. But I am not catching any deer on the camera, large kitty cats yes, wildlife yes, deer no. I have my cams in trees near animal trails and can see the nightly parade but only a couple times caught deer. Ideas?

Oh last thing, has anyone heard the Irvine Co. land transfers above Irvine lake went thru and should be open to hunting, Fremont Canyon and the area right adjacent close to Coal Canyon. When I talked to rangers in spring I was told they would be in there this summer pulling down no hunting signs and should have a some guidance by late summer on hunting the area. Currently it still looks like its locked up.

Thanks

KS,

Just because you're not seeing bucks doesn't mean much to me.....Bucks are in their own bachelor groups or they're solitary this time of year....I have lots of bucks on my property and not a single picture of a mature buck during daylight hours....That will chance when the rut starts (& earlier).....If your able to scout in the evening, give that a try.

Does are fawning now too......Another reason bucks aren't with them.....I wouldn't worry about being too close to the water sources with your cams.....Just hide them well & lock.

Also, having a big cat working a water source will make them move too.....Sounds like you've got more than one water source.....Deer will travel long distances for water.

Good luck

I'm envious of you're ability to go to work after scouting. Thought about trying to make that work for me; virtually not possible unless you scout at 1-6 lol

Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I hunt same area as you. Would go throught the whole season without seeing a buck and then TADA! Keep at it. +1 with afternoon scouts. My theory with morning scouts...deer bed before daylight. If youre there you might be able to hear them move but come sun up theyre down. I see them around 9-11. Actually the deers ive taken has been 10a-11a at d15.
Please keep me updated regarding the fremont canyon. Maple springs rd has been closed which killed a portion of area for me.

Btw, see does, look up higher

They pretty much only give land to the conservancy or of late state parks. Both are anti hunting. Fremont is controlled by the Conservancy and the area around coal and gypsum is now part of Chino hills state park. No one will have access to hunt here ever. Both areas are patrolled by OCSD and no warnings are given.

who did mr ranger say they were going to give the land to?

Thanks for the replies, yeah my afternoon are packed with youth LAX/hockey/etc. Apparently the land was had been donated to OC County, but CAF&G would be developing rules and such, I haven't found anything about it online. The Conservancy is no hunting but I was wondering if G&F were opening adjacent state land. I had a field ranger tell me and asked later over at the office off the 15/91 and they confirm new rules were being put in place. You can hunt in Coal Canyon, I have a letter from State Parks legal staff on transporting thru Chino Hills to Coal Canyon. If I did haul a deer out of Coal Canyon, I would expect to see a visit by OCSD after I was surrounded by lycra clad bikers. If I get a buck at two of my spots I expect to see OCSD there too, since I will be pulling it out near some expensive homes.

I did hear that Irvine Ranch gifted that land to the county. I really do hope you can hunt that new property, but I don't have a ton of confidence that it will happen.

I also hope they get irvine lake back up and going. Loosing that lake really sucks for the people of the surrounding area.

You may have better luck on a different area, but the Mtn bikers may be seeing more deer just because they are covering more ground. That area is thick and those deer may be using the same trails that they are.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu