SD area Quail success question for DIY/PL hunters

Wildgame

Feb 11, 2019
Over the last month, I went out with a buddy of mine a few times looking for quail.

We hunted for mountain quail in different areas of CNF. The very few I could hear calling or responded a call were too deep in the chaparral to see, let alone to have an opportunity for a shot.

We also drove hrs to 3 places where I have chased desert Quail before or where I was told to check out, and there were no signs of any around.

When I was hunting Deer in September, I ran into a bunch of Quail on a trail. And while Dove hunting, I have seen them on the side of the road on desert areas, and in the vicinity of farmlands.

Have you had success in SD hunting quail this season? the question is mostly for folks who hunt public land. With all the rain we had and the amount of greenery in areas that usually are pretty dry, I thought the late-season would have produce, or at least I would have seen a few. I know they are hard to hunt WO a dog but it is not hard to see them when they are out and about in the desert.

I am trying to figure out if indeed this year in SD Quail hunting was slow and what are your thoughts about that.

Thanks.

Reactions: HortoTheSlayer
They are usually in the same spots so if you have seen them before there they are still there. If you have no dog but have a partner you guys should spread out so he can see the quail you are kicking up and you can see his. If y'all are right next to each other you wont see them jump.

Haven't been hunting in SD but IMO the rains spread them out. The moment there was standing pools of water and grass sprouting my honey hole felt like any other area. Not that they were not still there but the concentration and numbers of quail were less. Plus I may of killed a few by then :D. I've switched over to chukar chasing the last month since I'm really starting to dial in on them.

Your mileage will differ. I like going at daybreak. Of know good habitat.
And just walk slow and listen for quail using the locator calls.
Some days nothing and others they are every where. Just like turkeys they move around, but generally move in large circles.
Hunting without a dog is very tough.
You could have walk right past them.
And sometimes they and sometimes they run or just don't move.
A good way is again look for sign. Tracks,
Digging in the dirt and debri.
And learn good habitat.
Look for plant life that has lots of wild seed. Chaparral is tough hunting.
I think it's easier at the desert.
And around farm land edges with plenty of feed and water.
So in summation:
#1 feed
#2 good cover
#3 water even though they don't need it.
They do like to drink. Just like any bird
#4 take your time , people just walk to fast. But if you do find them stay on them
#5 if you bust them sit and listen for the locater calls hit again as they try to regroup

Reactions: HortoTheSlayer
unless you have private land SD quail hunting is always going to be slow even in the good years. Zero people will give up spots, quail spots are worse than duck spots. Getting a bird or two is a victory in SD pretty much any time. There are birds in SoCal. NBK proved that with back to back limits but you have to leave SD. If you are looking for numbers Mtn quail are the wrong choice.

Reactions: NBK
Over the last month, I went out with a buddy of mine a few times looking for quail.

We hunted for mountain quail in different areas of CNF. The very few I could hear calling or responded a call were too deep in the chaparral to see, let alone to have an opportunity for a shot.

We also drove hrs to 3 places where I have chased desert Quail before or where I was told to check out, and there were no signs of any around.

When I was hunting Deer in September, I ran into a bunch of Quail on a trail. And while Dove hunting, I have seen them on the side of the road on desert areas, and in the vicinity of farmlands.

Have you had success in SD hunting quail this season? the question is mostly for folks who hunt public land. With all the rain we had and the amount of greenery in areas that usually are pretty dry, I thought the late-season would have produce, or at least I would have seen a few. I know they are hard to hunt WO a dog but it is not hard to see them when they are out and about in the desert.

I am trying to figure out if indeed this year in SD Quail hunting was slow and what are your thoughts about that.

Thanks.
As far as valley quail, the coveys I've seen this year seem to have a few more birds than previous years, but overall numbers are probably still way down. But I'm no biologist and rarely do I hunt quail anymore.. just my observations during deer season.

Mountain quail are ghosts. I hear them in the thickest, steepest hillsides but seeing them coveyed up in huntable areas is rare for me.

I would keep trying with the desert quail and leave the CNF quail alone for now. I always seem to bump some coveys while scouting the IV where wildland meets the edges of ag fields nearby a ditch.

I'm not down in your neck or the woods but Its been the best quail year I've seen in 10 plus years. Not uncommon this year to get up multiple copies of 20 plus birds for us

Reactions: ilovesprig
unless you have private land SD quail hunting is always going to be slow even in the good years. Zero people will give up spots, quail spots are worse than duck spots. Getting a bird or two is a victory in SD pretty much any time. There are birds in SoCal. NBK proved that with back to back limits but you have to leave SD. If you are looking for numbers Mtn quail are the wrong choice.
That's is just what I was hoping to hear. Because let me tell you I have looked for them in areas where the terrain, shelter, food, and water were perfect for them and still no luck. Yet I have seen them a few times when hunting deer.
If they are scarce around here I am ok with not bother hunting them. I much prefer to drive far to where they are and make it a two day trip out of it.

I'm not down in your neck or the woods but Its been the best quail year I've seen in 10 plus years. Not uncommon this year to get up multiple copies of 20 plus birds for us
Isn't that dandy....:kissing:. Just kidding.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu