Shopping for Binos

rbduffer

Dec 15, 2014
Fallbrook
OK, I've searched the web for days trying to find the 'Best Binos under $1000'. And the only thing that I learned is that everybody's eyes are different. It's not just a matter of taste or science or personal preference, like everything else. Here you gotta find what works for your own weird eyeballs. So I need to find a Brick and Mortar place with lots of demos to try as much glass as I can. I live in Fallbrook, that's just south of Temecula. Where is the best place to spend half a day to find my dream peepers.
Thanks, Randy

Fine Firearms in La Mesa they stock everything and know what they are doing. I buy all my glass there. For around $1k you can get vortex razors.
If you can justify it spend a little more and get Swarovski they will change your life.

Reactions: NBK
Thanks guys. Those are the only two places that I know of within 80 miles. I like the value of the Vortex line, and have heard nothing but great things about Swaros. So, I will let my eyes decide between Viper, Razor or trading a kidney for Swarovskis. I will check out FF tomorrow on my way home from Lemon Grove R&G club.
I'll keep ya posted.

Reactions: TRICER
Thanks guys. Those are the only two places that I know of within 80 miles. I like the value of the Vortex line, and have heard nothing but great things about Swaros. So, I will let my eyes decide between Viper, Razor or trading a kidney for Swarovskis. I will check out FF tomorrow on my way home from Lemon Grove R&G club.
I'll keep ya posted.

trade your kidney

Reactions: TRICER
Update: I just got back from FF and of course the guys were great. They let me look outside with anything that they had, not just 'demos'.

Well, the whole comparison study was predictably annoying. All the binos that I tested were 10X40s, I was focusing on the ribs of a High Voltage insulator at about 250 yards away, trying to count them, as in counting the tines on an antler. The Vortex Viper was as clear as my old Nikon 7X50s, but a little better because of the extra power. The Sworos were definitely clearer and sharper, but by how much, 5 or 10 percent. So I tried the Razors, and sure enough right in the middle of the two, as the prices would suggest; 500, 1000 and 2000 dollars. I'm certain that if I tried them all again in less favorable conditions, ie; twilight, rain or glaring angles and fatigue. that the differences would show themselves much more. Which begs the question: Is 10 or 20% better worth 100% more? I have always said no to this question before. But now I find myself thinking in a different light. If I was in a gun fight at 220 yards and my rifle was only good to 200, would I pay double to be able to hit at 220?..... Where does it stop? My brain hurts, I'll sleep on it.

Last edited:
Reactions: NBK
Buy the best and you will never be dissatisfied. As the saying goes buy once cry once. If you are willing to trade both kidneys try a pair of Leica's a bit better than Swaro's in my opinion

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu