Shotgun Camo Paint Vs. Vinyl

chuck88norris

Apr 29, 2013
Los Angeles, CA
Hey everyone,

Last time I went bird hunting I felt like my straight black mossberg shotgun was standing out way too much against the full camo I was wearing as well as the surrounding brush and reeds so I thought I would look into camo "dipping" my shotgun with some aerosol spray paints but I also came across vinyl sticker type material that goes on shotguns as well. Obviously one is a lot more inexpensive and time consuming than the other but I wanted to get some input from the forum based on everyones' experience on one or the other. I've done a lot of research already and both seem to offer both suggestions as good, so I am very torn between the two

Let me know if you suggest one or the other and if there are any foreseeable pros and cons. I really appreciate it!

Looking forward to my first spring turkey hunt in a few weeks!

-Jimmy

I don't have experience with either the nylon wraps or hydrodipping but I've wanted to do the same to my 870. I'd be interested to hear some tips from someone who's tried painting theirs. I've seen a few how-tos online from guys who paint their own waterfowl style camo.

If you don't want it permanent, there are camo cloth wraps you could try.

I would personally paint it myself using stencils. Krylon makes camo paint colors. There are tons of Youtube videos on how to do it.

cross posting...

This is the definitive how to on painting your shotgun. Follow the directions given here and it will come out great. I did my 25 year old super90 and it came out great! its tough when you take sand paper to your blued metal parts but the end product works. I beat the hell out of my guns and its holding up great.

http://www.duckhuntingchat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=36000

wow! that paint job is awesome. I painted my hunting rifle but I have this on my shotgun. Pretty sweet option. Best part, it's not permanent nor does it break the bank.

http://www.mossyoakgraphics.com/

One more thing, there's also a youtube video you can find and they do a good job explaining how to apply it but there are some things you learn that they don't cover in the video as you go along (if you go with this option) also, I didn't have a airgun so I just used my wife's hair dryer..

Go to "Guns, Bows and Gear" on Page 3 and look for the posting "Here's 'Lucky!" It shows my AR all painted up. A few posts below the picture is a post that describes just how to do it.

Thanks for all the information everyone. It sounds like no one really has had an issue occur due to painting their gun. I was just concerned of any future issues that might pop up if I painted mine since mine is relatively new still.

Time to prepare for a fun pet project now

Snake Charmer said:
It's not a museum piece its a tool, if it needs paint, paint it, if it comes out bad paint it again.

Amen brother. It's just a tool.

Sent via Tapatalk

Any coating is going to protect it more than conceal it. The ducks/geese shouldn't see it until they are about to die. ;D

Aeon said:
cross posting...

This is the definitive how to on painting your shotgun. Follow the directions given here and it will come out great. I did my 25 year old super90 and it came out great! its tough when you take sand paper to your blued metal parts but the end product works. I beat the hell out of my guns and its holding up great.

That is truly an amazing job, and inspiring/clear instructions. Thanks Aeon for posting. I only have one question. If you lay the gun down in the grass, how do you find it again?
;D

Sent via Tapatalk

Aeon said:
cross posting...

Wow - an SP10 for duck hunting. Kind of lke using a .460 Weatherby for deer! ;D

What's wrong with that? :) I did hear a story about one guy that did a camo paint job on his shotgun. He set it against a bush to retrieve a coyote he shot and it took 15 minutes to find the shotgun when he got back.

I did a paint job on my Nova for this turkey season. It was easier to do more tactical patterns. Not an amazing paint job but I think it looks cool and breaks up way better than when it was all black.
20140512_171310.jpg

20140512_171521_RichtoneHDR.jpg

20140512_171536_RichtoneHDR.jpg

Reactions: Moves
I paint all my long guns with camo paint by hand last a long time looks better to me and they are less "scary" to others. ive never had a problem with heat on any thing i have. all mine look very much like punkur67 nice job by the way. My wife even did a nice camo pink on her modern sporting rifle.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu