Should they be saved?

fish dog

Apr 28, 2015
Johnson City, TN
Just a question to the assembled masses here. I know you’ve probably all seen them, or at least seen post about them on Facebook or various other web sites. I’m talking about the poor little puppy or kitten that’s running around with one of those animal “wheel chairs” attached to their hind end. The little critter was born deformed and whatever shelter ends up with them pours hundreds, if not thousands of dollars into their care and outfitting them with a critter “wheel chair” and then rolls out the pictures or video on the internet to show how caring and compassionate they are for saving said little mutant.

The question is do you think this should be done? I mean, first of all, is the animal enjoying any real quality of life? It has to be daily hooked up to that wheeled contraption and, I’m sure, if it is paralyzed in the lower half of the body it requires assistance when it craps and pees (more expense having a vet tech or shelter worker handling that). In a time where most animal shelters, both private and public, euthanize many good “normal” dogs and cats for lack of room and lack of funds why should both room and money be spent to keep a critter that nature obviously did not intend to survive. How many good “normal” dogs and/or cats are sacrificed so these shelters can showcase one little physically deformed critter to show how kind and compassionate they are?

Now, I can understand an individual private person maybe going the doggie “wheel chair” route for their own aging pet, that they’ve owned for many years, and doing it at their own expense, but the use of shelter resources, especially public shelter resources, saving something that should not have survived, to the determent of other “regular” critters, is what I really have a problem with.

…Or am I just an uncaring, unfeeling bad guy for thinking this way? What do ya’all think?

Wow. Some one else that thinks like me. I guess we need a club of uncaring unfeeling bad guys.

I mean we have kids in this country that are starving. We have kids in this country that go to school with no shoes. We have mothers killing baby's before they are born and yet we save cats and dogs

Well said and I concur. If you are going to care for your aging dog that is one thing. We had a beagle that we took for walks and after about a two blocks she would just lay in the ground and I got tried of carrying her fat butt back home so the wife put her in a stroller the neighborhood must have thought "damn what an ugly kid"!! But when her time came we put her down and did not spend thousands to keep her alive. I love my dogs too but I don't think that it helps to prolong their lives sometimes just because we cannot or will not let go.

This country is nuts. Dont get me wrong she is spoiled and I love my dog but she serves a purpose and that purpose is to hunt. I have no idea when animals went onto the same level as humans. When I was a kid my dogs were never allowed in the house I am pretty sure that would be considered abuse these days. Peoples priorities are so screwed up. over 50 million babies murdered in the last 50 years and people are more concerned about animals.

GSPman said:
Wow. Some one else that thinks like me. I guess we need a club of uncaring unfeeling bad guys.

I mean we have kids in this country that are starving. We have kids in this country that go to school with no shoes. We have mothers killing baby's before they are born and yet we save cats and dogs

X2

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu