Sig BDX rangefinder, worth it?

barretwm

Oct 20, 2018
Is the Sig XXXXBDX rangefinders worth replacing an older rangefinder. I currently have Vortex 1800 Ranger. Would I be better off just buying a kestrel with ballistic software? Using it for hunting and maybe getting into some long range shooting for fun. Working a Seekins Precision Havak 28 Nosler 1:8.6, once ranges open back up load development with 169g Hammer Hunters with either RL 26/33. Also Tikka CTR in a B&C stock 6.5 Creed for fun using factory ammo getting sub moa. Both have Viper PST Gen 2 5-25x50 MilRad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just ordered the Sig Kilo 3000BDX binoculars on Monday. I purchased with the intent to sync them to me Kestrel and used the Kestrel Ballistics calculator. I was really after a range finder that could range out to 1500+ yards and the 3000 BDX offer nice features

I just got the Gunwerks G7 rangefinder only got to shoot with it a couple of times but it is pretty much right inline with my ballistic apps. I was able to get it used on Ebay for $800

Reactions: JakeSCH
I just got the Gunwerks G7 rangefinder only got to shoot with it a couple of times but it is pretty much right inline with my ballistic apps. I was able to get it used on Ebay for $800

That is a killer deal...I have my eye out for a used one as well.

Reactions: TRICER
I seem to recall reading the deal with the BDX rangefinder is that it can transmit via Bluetooth to their matching BDX rifle scopes and they will then display the precalc'd holdover illuminated dot right there within your FOV in the riflescope, because ahead of time you plugin ballistics values for your load into the BDX rangefinder.

I seem to recall reading the deal with the BDX rangefinder is that it can transmit via Bluetooth to their matching BDX rifle scopes and they will then display the precalc'd holdover illuminated dot right there within your FOV in the riflescope, because ahead of time you plugin ballistics values for your load into the BDX rangefinder.

Yea I was seeing that but I seems too much like cheating. Kind of like the eliminator scopes. I mean I want help but I still want the ability for me to screw it up.

Reactions: TRICER
Well, that will never really go away right? Because I mean you still have to hold it steady and squeeze the trigger steady and reduce your "human-movements" in the equation. And it'd probably be a good idea to be versed enough in your loads ballistics to know that the value it's telling seems right and in the ballpark. You know... just in case the value the rangefinder reported back got thrown off somehow, such as by actually giving the reading of a nearby object such as a bush near the line-of-sight to the animal that happens to be a closer object or something like that.

But yeah, relying too much on electrical could suck if the system wentdead in the field. Doesn't look like those scopes have any non-illuminated tick-marks that I can see.

I have the Sig Kilo 2400 and the G7. Both ballistic calculations are the same. I prefer the Sig because it is smaller and can be used for archery hunting also. Its also a lot easier to in put data using the app on your phone. Plus if you have multiple rifles, with a lead and lead free round you can easily switch between the different profiles and have as many profiles as you want.

I paid $970 shipped brand new. I paid about the same for my g7

I have the Sig Kilo 2400 and the G7. Both ballistic calculations are the same. I prefer the Sig because it is smaller and can be used for archery hunting also. Its also a lot easier to in put data using the app on your phone. Plus if you have multiple rifles, with a lead and lead free round you can easily switch between the different profiles and have as many profiles as you want.

I paid $970 shipped brand new. I paid about the same for my g7

So you never had a problem with the app or ballistics with the Sig? What ranges have you been able to range out to real world conditions and have it work? Nice episode R2R by the way.

So you never had a problem with the app or ballistics with the Sig? What ranges have you been able to range out to real world conditions and have it work? Nice episode R2R by the way.

Not once have I had an issue. The ballistics have been true from my muzzleloader at 460 yards to my 338 lapua at 1500 yards. I think the furthest I’ve ranged a big pine tree was like 1700 yards

I pick up deer sized objects easily out to 1100 yards. Anything passed that it has to be a little bit larger.

For myself, at the ranges I practice and shoot it works perfect.

Thanks man, it was a good time.

The Kilo's are the best rangefinders mass produced right now and have been for a while. I have had several and own one now. Unless you have a Vectronix Terrapin, look no further than a BDX. Sig Sauer (Electro Optics) stand behind the product 100%.

They (Sig Sauer) are working on a new technology that is able to translate downrange wind virtually. They were funded by the U.S. military. Expect to see some big changes in the next 3-5 years.

The Kilo's are the best rangefinders mass produced right now and have been for a while. I have had several and own one now. Unless you have a Vectronix Terrapin, look no further than a BDX. Sig Sauer (Electro Optics) stand behind the product 100%.

They (Sig Sauer) are working on a new technology that is able to translate downrange wind virtually. They were funded by the U.S. military. Expect to see some big changes in the next 3-5 years.
Good to hear that. Makes me feel even better about my recent purchase

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu