Sighting in 30yd+ pins advice

nunezapn

Feb 2, 2021
Hello all,

I want to know if anyone has advice on sighting in 30yd, 40yd, 50yd, etc. pins? I recently upgraded my basic sight.
The issue I have is it's difficult to be steady enough to get accurate feedback on how I need to adjust my pins.
I have a ballpark idea on where they should be set. I've been shooting almost a year now and I can hold fairly well.
It takes several shots to feel one of the pins are where they need to be. I don't mind this since it's practice, but I
can't know for sure they are correct.
My local archery shop helped sight in my first sight. I would like to avoid that again as they charge an arm and a leg.
I also want to learn how to do all my own work on bows since that's what I do for everything (i.e computers, cars, etc.)
I remember seeing the shop use this book that gave measurements that the pins should be set at. They used a caliper
to set the remaining pins after my 20yd pin was set. I tried Google searching for something like this, but I couldn't find
anything. Has anyone heard of this or know the name I can search for?
Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks.

There are some tools for setting pin spacing but meh do It the manual way, start at 20 then 30 and then 40 and so on

If you can't shoot groups at any of the ranges it's too far to be shooting.

All the pins should be the same horizontally.

Aeon is right, shoot until comfortable at 20 yards, then adjust for the second pin at 30 yards, shoot until you have good groupings.
more importantly work at your form, what draw weight are you shooting, start at a low draw weight until form and groupings are good, then crank up to higher draw weight.
target practice at a lower draw weight, so you don't shake.

Reactions: skeet
I'm shooting 60lbs right now. I try to focus on form as much as possible. Anchor points, follow through, etc.

can it be adjusted lower?
edit : groupings and form is more important at the beginning, have fun shooting , I may have buy a new bow with lower draw weight because of shoulder.

Yes, but won't my shots be lower because the difference?
yes just re adjust pins for lower draw weight, once you got it raise the weight, also your body just like working out you have to get your body in shape shooting the beginning. do you have a light draw weight traditional bow to strengthen your self

I'll give it a try thanks. Yea, I've been watching tons of videos. Only downside is not being able to do things that need a press or vise.

go to the bow shop if necessary to learn how to adjust the draw weight. some are done with bolt adjustment, to many different configurations, but usually don't require bow press.

Shoot more, which will build and strengthen the muscles. Once you have the muscles strengthened, then do a pin and do another one in a day or so.

I'll give it a try thanks. Yea, I've been watching tons of videos. Only downside is not being able to do things that need a press or vise.
Depending on what you are doing and the bow you have, you can purchase a bow press like the one in the link (you can get them much cheaper). I have used it for 20+ years and have only taken my bow in when I needed new strings.

Hello all,

I want to know if anyone has advice on sighting in 30yd, 40yd, 50yd, etc. pins? I recently upgraded my basic sight.
The issue I have is it's difficult to be steady enough to get accurate feedback on how I need to adjust my pins.
I have a ballpark idea on where they should be set. I've been shooting almost a year now and I can hold fairly well.
It takes several shots to feel one of the pins are where they need to be. I don't mind this since it's practice, but I
can't know for sure they are correct.
My local archery shop helped sight in my first sight. I would like to avoid that again as they charge an arm and a leg.
I also want to learn how to do all my own work on bows since that's what I do for everything (i.e computers, cars, etc.)
I remember seeing the shop use this book that gave measurements that the pins should be set at. They used a caliper
to set the remaining pins after my 20yd pin was set. I tried Google searching for something like this, but I couldn't find
anything. Has anyone heard of this or know the name I can search for?
Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Send me a PM and your address and I will mail you a copy of the graph I have, or go to your local bow shop. (Bow and arrow shop) in lakeside and ask any of the guys for a copy.

@nunezapn who was your local shop that charged a arm and a leg for helping you setup? if you did not buy the bow from them i can see charging a bit but not a huge amount. IF you bought the bow then it should be part of the setup???

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu