Snow goose decoys

parkermann

May 16, 2016
Looking to build a spread for snows this year. I was hoping some of you could give me some advice on what decoys I should get. I already have 40 GHG shells and about 500$ left in my budget.

Should I just buy as many socks as I can or should I mix up and get some full bodies and/or more shells?

Also how many decoys should I realistically have? 10 dozen? More?

Any advice is much appreciated

i have 50 dz sillosocks snows with 4 silloguard carriers. Asking $1100 for all or will trade for full bodies Located in southern california

It depends on where you plan on hunting. Shallow ponds (3"-10" ), deeper ponds (10"-24"), or fields? If hunting Wister or some Nor Cal refuges, you'll eventually need some of everything since you won't know in advance where you'll be on any given day. Some guys strictly field hunt so they focus on numbers & load up with silosocks, full bodies, & shells.

Some guys only hunt ponds with smaller spreads so they focus on floaters & full bodies with different length stakes depending on water level.

With what you have, you can make longer stakes for those shells to use in ponds so no need to add floaters at this point. I think (with a Wister mentality) I would get a doz. full bodies (buy used if you can, easy to paint full bodies) & the rest, silosocks. They can be used in a field or on a dike. As you experience hunting snows in different types of habitat, add the decoys that best suit the type on hunting you enjoy. Many don't want to field hunt because it could be feast or famine (mostly famine), so they opt for hunting ponds that offer both snows & ducks. Lots of pros & cons for either situation mostly based on cost & effort.

It depends on where you plan on hunting. Shallow ponds (3"-10" ), deeper ponds (10"-24"), or fields? If hunting Wister or some Nor Cal refuges, you'll eventually need some of everything since you won't know in advance where you'll be on any given day. Some guys strictly field hunt so they focus on numbers & load up with silosocks, full bodies, & shells.

Some guys only hunt ponds with smaller spreads so they focus on floaters & full bodies with different length stakes depending on water level.

With what you have, you can make longer stakes for those shells to use in ponds so no need to add floaters at this point. I think (with a Wister mentality) I would get a doz. full bodies (buy used if you can, easy to paint full bodies) & the rest, silosocks. They can be used in a field or on a dike. As you experience hunting snows in different types of habitat, add the decoys that best suit the type on hunting you enjoy. Many don't want to field hunt because it could be feast or famine (mostly famine), so they opt for hunting ponds that offer both snows & ducks. Lots of pros & cons for either situation mostly based on cost & effort.

Great info. Thanks. Mainly will be hunting wister area along with some refuges up north sometimes

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu