Snow goose deeks

SluiceCoot

Oct 25, 2014
Rancho
I don't have a lot of room. I've been looking at the Silosocks but some have told me they aren't that great and that I should only look into full body deeks. Thoughts?

Well, here's my 2 cents......If you going to go big (50 dozen+), then Silo Socks are probably fine.....If your going small (1-10 dozen), then your better off going as realistic as possible.....If your really really in to it, then you go big with full body & quality shells.....Another thought is if you've got friends that are going to hunt with you, then you combine your spreads and have that 100 dozen you may need.....Also, where do you plan on hunting?.....In Canada, we're normally on the X and we can drive to it.....So there's no worries about how we're going to get the big numbers out......If your thinking Wister, then a very large cart is a necessity......All things to consider when you start getting into snow goose hunting.

Hopefully, Kid Creole will chime in. He's a snow hunting guru.......I'm a honker hunting guru (inside joke)...... :D

Attachments

• ww & wister 1-18-12 058.JPG
    ww & wister 1-18-12 058.JPG
    507.1 KB · Views: 31
  • ww & wister 1-18-12 084.JPG
    ww & wister 1-18-12 084.JPG
    896.8 KB · Views: 27
The smaller the spread the better the decoys need to look. Every snow goose decoy made has it's weak side, Sillosocks without wind to move them don't look that great. Full bodies are always my favorite decoy, if space is an issue consider 5/8 shells might be a good choice

KID CREOLE said:
The smaller the spread the better the decoys need to look. Every snow goose decoy made has it's weak side, Sillosocks without wind to move them don't look that great. Full bodies are always my favorite decoy, if space is an issue consider 5/8 shells might be a good choice

Come on Stef..........Let's see some of your spreads (& piles).......... ;)

Different spreads, Wister, Sacramento and Canada

Attachments

• ww___wister_1_18_12_080.JPG
    ww___wister_1_18_12_080.JPG
    795.7 KB · Views: 23
  • SacValleySpread2.jpg
    SacValleySpread2.jpg
    211.4 KB · Views: 28
  • SacValleySpread1.jpg
    SacValleySpread1.jpg
    223 KB · Views: 23
  • SacValleySpread3.jpg
    SacValleySpread3.jpg
    187.4 KB · Views: 15
  • c7.jpg
    c7.jpg
    239.1 KB · Views: 24
Those new spreads are sweet.........The old days of rags, shells without heads, and paper plates are probably gone forever......... ;)

Attachments

• Wister 1983 ll.jpg
    Wister 1983 ll.jpg
    305.4 KB · Views: 24
  • Wister 1983.jpg
    Wister 1983.jpg
    287.9 KB · Views: 26
More spread pics. We adjust the spread to what we saw while while scouting, so that is the reason for so many different spreads

Attachments

• spread1.jpg
    spread1.jpg
    395.6 KB · Views: 24
  • spread2.jpg
    spread2.jpg
    522.3 KB · Views: 21
  • spread3.jpg
    spread3.jpg
    356.3 KB · Views: 19
  • spread4.jpg
    spread4.jpg
    275 KB · Views: 18

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu