Snow Jerky

TRICER

Dec 20, 2014
tricerusa.com
So I will start this by saying this turned out to be some of the best Jerky I have had and I highly reccomend turning some of your waterfowl into jerky.

Ingredients

• 3 tablespoons coarse salt
  • 1 cup brown sugar
  • 1 cup water
  • 3/4 cup terriyaki
  • 1/2 cup Worcestershire sauce
  • 2 tablespoons garlic powder
  • 2 tablespoons chili powder/ I use Siracusa powder
  • 3 tablespoons coarsely ground black pepper
  • 2 tablespoons red pepper flakes
  • 2-3lbs of waterfowl / I used 4 snow breasts
Cut the waterfowl into 1/4"+ strips I go length way on the breasts. Mix all the ingredients together and combine it in a gallon. After place in the fridge for 24 hours.

50406899736__4570406C-E8EA-4CAD-8E63-AFC55B893EAB.JPG

Place meat in dehydrator and crack some
more pepper on top of the strips. Dehydrate for 8 hours at or around 160deg.

IMG_0450.JPG
IMG_0452.JPG
IMG_0455.JPG

Vacume seal it up into snack size packs for your next hunt and throw them in the freezer. You don't have to freeze them but will last longer you can also buy some silica gel packs to keep the moisture down. Moisture is your enemy with dehydrating and freezing it will make sure it lasts for a very long time.

IMG_0456.JPG

This recipe will work for any meat and you will like it. Dehydrating is easy and a great way to share game with friends, family, and coworkers.

The only problem I had with this recipe is my kids and wife eat it like candy lol. Good luck saving any for the future.

Drew,
What do you do to avoid the moisture after drying/freezing, do you buy the silica packs? I'm new to the ways of the dehydrator.. I made a couple jerky batches that came out great and seemed to be dry enough. Then I froze most of it. But when I thawed them, they would get moist again and got funky.

you can buy the silica packs on amazon bulk for cheap. I typically keep it frozen until I am going to use it then I throw it in my pack. A lot of people can it as well and that seems to work well. I haven't got into canning yet but it is on my list.

Another cheap way to make Jerky is to go down to a place like Kaelins in El Cajon and buy carne asada or if you can find london broil on sale have the butcher slice it into 1/4" strips.

Reactions: SurfNHuntSD
Elk meat is cut marinated and now resting in the fridgs. I'll let you know the outcome tomorrow afternoon.
Thanks for the recipe Truduct

Attachments

• IMG_1193.JPG
    IMG_1193.JPG
    400.6 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_1196.JPG
    IMG_1196.JPG
    432.9 KB · Views: 13
I cleared out the remainder of my waterfowl from the freezer and followed your recipe and it is delicious.
Although my dehydration time was 4 hours at 145.
Thanjs

Attachments

• IMG_4507.JPG
    IMG_4507.JPG
    474.5 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_4508.JPG
    IMG_4508.JPG
    318.2 KB · Views: 14

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu