Snowing in the IV

ilovesprig

Staff member
Aug 3, 2012
Escondido
I was fortunate enough to be invited on a snow goose hunt in the IV by my good friend Robert Yak....He had contracted a day with Danny Moss that has his operation next to Unit 1 of the Sonny Bono NWR.....We all met in Westmoreland at 4:00 am and then drove over to the field next to the unit.....500 silo socks, 15 dozen full bodies, and 2 rotaries later, we were ready to rock.....With our white suits on, we waited for the flights of snows to move. Didn't take long for the 1st one cross the NWR boundary. Lots of shots and 1 bird fell. The boys found shooting from your back is a little more difficult....lol....Also, by this time of year the geese know that boundary. Lots of lookers, but not that many takers....When it was all said and done, we had 15 geese on the ground......Good time with really great guys.....Danny's operation is top notch.....Everyone helps out too, not just a shooting thing...... 8)

Attachments

• 022.JPG
    022.JPG
    463.6 KB · Views: 58
  • 027.JPG
    027.JPG
    295.6 KB · Views: 55
  • 030.JPG
    030.JPG
    405.9 KB · Views: 54
  • 037.JPG
    037.JPG
    367 KB · Views: 55
  • 032.JPG
    032.JPG
    470 KB · Views: 50
  • 035.JPG
    035.JPG
    447.5 KB · Views: 58
  • 043.JPG
    043.JPG
    876.4 KB · Views: 60
  • 051.JPG
    051.JPG
    501.6 KB · Views: 56
Steve,

Silos aren't as good as full bodies (that's why they're closest to the closed zone), but as far as going with big numbers......They work......Hell, we used to get 'em with rags...... ;)

Attachments

• yeager @ union trac 2000[1].jpg
    yeager @ union trac 2000[1].jpg
    101.4 KB · Views: 36
I heard "back in the old days" trash bags with a rock inside worked well. I'll be headed back up to Maxwell next week to hunt Creole's neck of the woods. Can't wait to get back on the snows and specks.

SluiceCoot said:
Awesome! Not that I've ever tried but I've always heard the socks don't work that well.
Lots and lots of snows are killed over socks these days. Most have upgraded to socks with good back supports. They add movement to the spread and they add numbers to a spread.

Awesome Steve! Even the Yeti made it out.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu