So Cal trout fishing

trout fishing is just like any other fishing. it depends on the time of year, temperature, weather and if they stock it.
I have better luck before the crowds in april. water is still cool and the fish will school and swim at the edges of any lake, once the weather warms up find
were water enters the lake. they hang out there, trolling works wonderful any time.

Reactions: HunterMcBuckKiller
Big Bear is good along the north shore. Spots by Stanfield Cutoff, Serano Campground, the public launch ramps, the observatory and Red House are all good for soaking bait, throwing spoons or trout jigs.
For bait, the usual suspects. Power Bait and crawlers both work.
Spoons; Thomas Buoyant, Kastmasters, Jakes Spin-O-Lure and Super Duper work great.
Trout jigs are just plastic crappie jigs with a trout power worm tail. This combo can be killer especially by the dam in the warmer months.
If you have a boat, trolling is very productive.
Try pulling Needle fish, Super Dupers or any trout spoon on lead core. Trolling small Countdown Rapalas on light mono (4lb) can produce some monsters.
For almost guaranteed fish, I would hit Jess Ranch Lakes. Big trout, clean facilities in a very friendly environment. Plus they have a Skunk pond. If you don't have a fish by the end of the day you're allowed 1 fish per angler in the Skunk pond. Cost is about 20 per adult and 15 per child. 5 fish limit for adults and 3 fish limit for kids. If I remember correctly. Excellent place to introduce kids to trout fishing.

Big Bear is good along the north shore. Spots by Stanfield Cutoff, Serano Campground, the public launch ramps, the observatory and Red House are all good for soaking bait, throwing spoons or trout jigs.
For bait, the usual suspects. Power Bait and crawlers both work.
Spoons; Thomas Buoyant, Kastmasters, Jakes Spin-O-Lure and Super Duper work great.
Trout jigs are just plastic crappie jigs with a trout power worm tail. This combo can be killer especially by the dam in the warmer months.
If you have a boat, trolling is very productive.
Try pulling Needle fish, Super Dupers or any trout spoon on lead core. Trolling small Countdown Rapalas on light mono (4lb) can produce some monsters.
For almost guaranteed fish, I would hit Jess Ranch Lakes. Big trout, clean facilities in a very friendly environment. Plus they have a Skunk pond. If you don't have a fish by the end of the day you're allowed 1 fish per angler in the Skunk pond. Cost is about 20 per adult and 15 per child. 5 fish limit for adults and 3 fish limit for kids. If I remember correctly. Excellent place to introduce kids to trout fishing.
LMAO Skunk Pond ?? Every lake needs one of those !!! Thats awesome business practice , Tightlines BF

Hemet Lake just got stocked, haven't been up there yet. Silverwood, fish next to the docks after a stock if its dead then hit miller canyon. the trout try and run from the stripers. From what I heard Yucaipa has been pretty good and so has Hesperia lake. I got completely skunked at Big Bear, lots of ice and weeds. Guasti stocks but the birds eat most the fish and you are elbow to elbow with a ton of other people. Not sure what is going on with Diamond valley. I heard they got a big plant of bows and lightnings but haven't verified it.

Last edited:
mile square park in fountain valley
Got skunked yesterday, Saw them jumping in the middle of the lake though so i know they are there. Headed to Santa Ana river lakes on Saturday. Going to et the kids fish in the "Huckleberry pond". But at $8 a pound for the fish i don't think we will be keeping them...

Got skunked yesterday, Saw them jumping in the middle of the lake though so i know they are there. Headed to Santa Ana river lakes on Saturday. Going to et the kids fish in the "Huckleberry pond". But at $8 a pound for the fish i don't think we will be keeping them...

I’m not sure they allow catch and release. Make sure to ask before catching, otherwise it gets expensive quick.

Reactions: ilovesprig
use 4 lb test line, nylon flouro slip sinker 3 oz or around there, above the swivel tied with 2 feet of leader, # 14 treble hooks. roll up the power bait to small ball. try 4 different types of power bait.
my favorites are yellow, orange, mixed rainbow , and red. get there at day break or when open, cast out, then open bail, wait for the line to pull out give it a few seconds, then close bail and slightly tug to hook. it takes patience. wait they swim around the lake and take a few. o yes red worms or better night crawlers cut in pieces works to. early morning cast masters, and rooster tails different colors. works to.

DFW Planting schedule....https://nrm.dfg.ca.gov/FishPlants/

Last edited:

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu