Socal Tree Saddle Thoughts/Recommendations

OnTwoWheels89

Aug 26, 2022
Hi all, relatively new to bowhunting and hunting deer in general. I hunt the Socal D zones, where spot and stalk is very difficult due to heavy chaparral and scrub brush. My question is do any of you use climbing sticks and a tree saddle similar to whitetail hunting? If so can you recommend any good brands?

Also wondering what types of trees to climb and what to avoid. At higher elevations I would assume pines, firs, and cedars would make good saddle trees, but not too sure about lower elevations. Oak seems like a good candidate since its study, but shooting lanes may be difficult. Any insight would be appreciated! Thanks!

-Tim

If you can dedicate enough days to hunting and find a well used trail it will serve you well. I know people who do it with great success. Our deer aren't as patternable as the whitetails but sitting in a tree or ground blind is a great.

I wouldn't worry about the tree type too much as long as you have shooting lanes. I've climbed oaks before and still had shooting lanes.

Reactions: OnTwoWheels89

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu