Some gear that I used on my last hunt...

Flecko

Apr 26, 2013
Coastal San Diego
Hey all, I just wanted to write a little about some gear that I used and abused on my last hunt. I ended up going out for 6 days, but I was packed to stay for a total of 9 nights. I ended up getting my first buck in D8 on my 4th day out, 15mi from the car! I am writing this because I'd like to pass on some suggestions to those gearheads out there, or to those considering purchasing some backpacking gear...

Here it goes:
My favorite/most used piece of equipment was my titanium Vargo Hexagon Woodstove. It folds flat and ends up to be the size of a small plate. You have to find a small rock or flat spot, but other than that, it burns on whatever small sticks you can find. I had to get accustomed to using it, but I could cook for as long as I wanted without worrying about running out of gas or carrying any fuel bottles. I attached a picture. I think I got it for about $30 at the local outdoor shop.

My tent is a 10 year old model of a Sierra Designs Cosmos 2. I could use a new tent because the weight is about 6 pounds. If you do buy a new tent, look for one that has the option to just use the footprint and rainfly as a lightweight shelter. Kelty makes good value for money tents, and is an entry level brand in the high end backpacking gear category. I attached a picture of my lightweight shelter on the morning of shooting my buck!

I used a MSR Sweetwater water pump (there were many places that I could probably have drank direct, but I never feel good after doing so... I like to be able to drink with confidence). The Sweetwater is a smaller water pump, but not the smallest. If you go too small, say to the MSR Miniworks, you have to pump a lot more, and you have to clean the little pump more often of gunk. Forget the "survival straw" or whatever they call it. You are better off drinking from the source in an emergency, and dealing with the diarrhea the weeks afterward. I counted the amount of pumps it took me to fill my 3L Camelbak: about 230! I really liked the sweetwater though!

Of course I had a good layering system for warmth. I had merino wool Icebreaker underlayers, a lightweight Arcteryx jacket, an insulated Patagonia jacket, and an Arcteryx parka Goretex shell (in case of bad weather). These are expensive brands. I purchased them on "pro-deal" so they were just barely affordable for me. Wool is an excellent fabric for outdoor use. Merino wool is comfortable enough to wear directly on your skin for long periods of time. Wool does not burn quickly either. Actually, the armed forces no longer allows polyester/capilene/polypropolene underlayers for troops because the wounds from blasts were worse because the plastics melted into their skin. I heard that the armed forces now uses mostly merino wool underlayers. A word on waterproof jackets: there are 'laminated' waterproof jackets, and there are 'membrane' waterproof jackets. Laminated jackets are really just nylon that has some sort of silicon or rubberized layer impregnated into the nylon. These jackets are fine. They are cheaper, but they are less breathable, and the laminate usually separates from the nylon after a couple of years or washings. A jacket with a waterproof membrane is much more durable, breathable, and more expensive. Goretex is an example of a membrane jacket. Other companies make their own versions of membranes that are similar in quality. Membranes can be washed without a problem.

I used a Marmot down sleepingbag. Marmot makes excellent gear at mid range backpacking gear prices. I would recommend down sleeping bags if you know if you will stay dry. However, down loses all of its loft (and therefore warmth) if it gets wet. If you are planning a trip where you may get some rain or water, go for a synthetic sleeping bag. Synthetic sleeping bags are usually cheaper too! Down is just lighter weight, more comfortable, and more compressible.

I just want to go on and on... but I'll stop because it's dinner time! ;D

Attachments

• DSC02563.JPG
    DSC02563.JPG
    3 MB · Views: 36
  • DSC02578.JPG
    DSC02578.JPG
    3 MB · Views: 31
Thanks for sharing that info Flecko. Love the stove; that is a real innovation and I suppose that the way it is enclosed makes it fairly safe in a fire-danger area. When camping in a remote area on NFS land, I have to agree never to use wood fires but it would be good to have this for an emergency.

I never use a tent; I just bring a fly. Lighter and very easy to put up pretty much anywhere except in a blizzard.

I brought some freeze dried meals and added sausage. I also had a quart bottle of pasta with some powdered cheese sauces. Oatmeal for breakfast, powdered milk for added protein. I also brought lots of snacks like cliff bars and trail mix. If I go out with my wife, I go all gourmet, but when I go alone, just give me something that will keep me happy. I found that spicy food makes you feel more full, and heavy carbohydrate dinners are good for energy the next day...

I WOULD NEVER RECOMMEND THIS TO ANYONE, but I am comfortable with picking and eating exactly three kinds of mushrooms: chanterelles, king boletes, and morels. I found what was without a doubt a king bolete and added it to some macaroni with Alfredo. I belonged to a mycological society and have much experience identifying what is and isn't good. When you know what is up, these mushrooms are goooood! The consequence of the wrong choice can be very bad though!

I went out in the Sierras... There is a LOT of space out there! You have to have a campfire permit to use a camp stove in CA. I'm sure that the titanium wood stove is considered a stove, not a camp fire. You also need a camping permit for the national forests, but the government shut down...

Sounds like you got it down. Made my first backpacking trip last weekend and it was fun! I do need a stove and next time I will take better food choices. Eventually I want to get a more compactable sleeping bag too.. My grandpa lives in D-8, I've been wanting to hunt it for awhile, I've seen some dandy bucks up there.

This is all great info. Thanks Flecko. The food choices options are very helpful... tho I'll stick to store-bought mushrooms ;)
Good to know that even though the titanium stove burns wood, it would be considered a stove. I was worrying about embers mainly.

that was awesome. thanks for sharing. I like that little stove, it's cool. plus lightweight. I like wool every thing. it will keep you warm even if it's wet.
Any suggestion which sleeping bags that are light weight & synthetic. I afraid of down because if it gets wet.
when I was a kid a group of us. rode horse & camp in the sierra madres mexico. all we had was wool blankets & a water proof canvas tarp.
well it snowed that night but the wool blankets kept us warm. it one those moment like you trip it was epic.

Sorry to not get back to you sooner!

I would advise to normal hikers that they get down bags because hikers usually don't go on a trip if it will be wet weather. However, hunters don't often get to choose the weather for their hunting trips, and there is a good chance for rain in deer season. I would probably go with a synthetic bag for versatility.

Check out the North Face's Cat's Meow sleeping bag. It is an synthetic bag that is excellent $/quality. Kelty is one step down in quality, meaning heavier and bulkier (not necessarily in workmanship), but more affordable. Other good brands to check out are Marmot, Mountain Hardwear, and Big Agnes. Big Agnes makes sleeping bags with a little more room, but the more open space in a sleeping bag, the more space your body has to keep warm (meaning that larger bags are a little bit colder than snug fitting bags).

Hope this helps!

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu