SOMEBODY DUMPED A DEER

Lungpopper

GLASS,GLASS,GLASS
Staff member
I get a call this morning from one of my neighbors about a deer that was on the side of our road. So I go check it out and it's a buck that somebody shot, gutted and then dumped it. So I called F&W to report it. Tell them were they can find it and go to work. Come home from work tonight and it's still there.

What would your reaction be?

Attachments

• photo 1.JPG
    photo 1.JPG
    829.8 KB · Views: 21
  • photo 2.JPG
    photo 2.JPG
    823 KB · Views: 19
I don't get it. Normally I would expect the person to take something of value, then ditch the evidence. Recall a couple of bill-less sailfish were found in the gutter off Morena a few years ago. What would you want with a bunch of deer guts?

Is it possible it bounced out of a truck bed or something stupid like that? What was it shot with, gun or bow?

Had to have bounced out of a truck.
I refuse to believe that someone would go to the trouble of field dressing a deer, just to leave it on the road. Very weird!!!

That sucks ! Look at all that good meat gone to waste. Nothing adds up. Little rack and meat is still there, and no tag.

msteiger said:
I don't get it. Normally I would expect the person to take something of value, then ditch the evidence. Recall a couple of bill-less sailfish were found in the gutter off Morena a few years ago. What would you want with a bunch of deer guts?

Is it possible it bounced out of a truck bed or something stupid like that? What was it shot with, gun or bow?

No tag and tire tracks with a rut spinning away suggest it didn't bounce out of a truck. Looked like a bow kill. Back straps and tenderloins untouched.

Captaintb said:
I refuse to believe that someone would go to the trouble of field dressing a deer, just to leave it on the road. Very weird!!!

I guess I believe it but I can't figure it out. A bit of work just to dump it. Hmm strange...

Breacher said:
Captaintb said:

I guess I believe it but I can't figure it out. A bit of work just to dump it. Hmm strange...

Indeed!

It was killed, apparently, with a bow. That is not necessarily easy for any Joe to do. At the very least it requires some level of investment in money and time to achieve. So the person who killed it is probably a hunter. They also thought they would be keeping it; why else gut it and bring it home? (If you just wanted to be a jerk and shoot a deer, you could just leave it where it fell.) Lastly, if this was an illegal kill, it could be 'laundered'; go buy an AO tag and say you got it at Laguna.

So I'm thinking 1 of 3 possibilities
1) somebody shot it legally, but then decided it wasn't big enough to fill their tag.
2) somebody shot it legally, but then found something wrong with it (deer HIV?), so dumped it.
3) somebody wanted to make LP an offer he couldn't refuse.

Wow.. A few years back we saw this happen with a nub buck. But they didn't go through the trouble of gutting it.
I can only think that they didn't wanna use their tag on him because the small horns, and decided they would try to get it home in the fridge real quick, but ended up getting too scared and dumped it..

3) somebody wanted to make LP an offer he couldn't refuse.

Ya the Devil himself must have made the offer. Hopefully the deer gods are watching and I made the right decision and will be rewarded with a MONSTER.

Why go through the problem of gutting it if you're not taking meat.

I bet some dumb ass went to their buddies thinking it was legal and didn't know the regs. And then it was a Tagteam dumping

Sdbirds said:
Why go through the problem of gutting it if you're not taking meat.

I bet some dumb butt went to their buddies thinking it was legal and didn't know the regs. And then it was a Tagteam dumping
Yeah, It does look like someone panicked and pulled a dump and run.

This morning it was gone. You could see that the coyotes pulled it about 15-20 yards. The only thing I could find from the deer was some hair. Lots of coyote scat and urine samples around the area.

Back