Something to think about.........

Wow! That is a sad story. I know there are times when hunting you just get excited and do things you normally wouldn't do. I could see that happening to me and almost everyone I've ever hunted with. You see an animal that you really want to harvest and suddenly caution goes out the window.

Broadheads are really dangerous! Did you read me post from this morning in the equipment section about what I did last weekend? Accidents usually happen in that moment when you are distracted, which is constant when you're hunting.

yEA I read that post and I think thats where I first posted the broadhead death story. And your new bowstring!!! I was hunting the other day and got home and notice a broken strand on my string on my brand new bow! Found one end but not the other end...I rember when you could buy a bow sting off the rack and they were like 8 bucks.

code3run said:
yEA I read that post and I think thats where I first posted the broadhead death story. And your new bowstring!!! I was hunting the other day and got home and notice a broken strand on my string on my brand new bow! Found one end but not the other end...I rember when you could buy a bow sting off the rack and they were like 8 bucks.

Sorry to hear that. Yeah, were getting jacked on archery gear pricing. Probably cuz of its recent popularity.

Lungpopper said:
Would not want to be in that guys shoes.
Not sure how I would deal with a tragedy like that. It would change your life.

No kidding! Sounds like there were long time buddies.

Back in the 70's my Grandfather hit a 3 year old child while driving. The kid ran into the street between two parked cars chasing a ball, so it wasn't his fault. Still he didn't drive for over a year. Even then he wouldn't drive unless he had to.

Thanks for posting that.

That sucks.

Another very common archery accident is when an arrow comes out of your bow quiver and falls nock down in the grass when you’re on a stalk. Then you step forward sending the broadhead into your inner thigh. It happened at an Archery range here many years ago at a 3D shoot. It hit the big artery in the leg but the guy did live. His buddy got him in the back of his Blazer and put a belt around his leg as a tourniquet. This was before cell phones. They drove him to the ER. People at the range were pissed off that the guy drove through the parking lot doing 50 MPH because they didn’t know what had just happened at the back part of the range. The guy came back for his other friends after dropping off the one at the ER. The guys at the range were amazed to hear the story and see the bloody mess in the guys back seat. Many of the older guys at that range still use the camo bags that cover the fletching’s. Not for the camo, but to prevent an arrow from falling out.

BuckHunter said:
Thanks for posting that.

That sucks.

Another very common archery accident is when an arrow comes out of your bow quiver and falls nock down in the grass when you’re on a stalk. Then you step forward sending the broadhead into your inner thigh. It happened at an Archery range here many years ago at a 3D shoot. It hit the big artery in the leg but the guy did live. His buddy got him in the back of his Blazer and put a belt around his leg as a tourniquet. This was before cell phones. They drove him to the ER. People at the range were pissed off that the guy drove through the parking lot doing 50 MPH because they didn’t know what had just happened at the back part of the range. The guy came back for his other friends after dropping off the one at the ER. The guys at the range were amazed to hear the story and see the bloody mess in the guys back seat. Many of the older guys at that range still use the camo bags that cover the fletching’s. Not for the camo, but to prevent an arrow from falling out.

I think I'm going to have to invest in one of those fletching covers. The added inconvenience is probably worth it.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu