South Carolina Deer

DanSanDiego

Venison for Thanksgiving 2016
Sep 18, 2014
I'm heading to South Carolina thru Jan 2nd for some family holidays, and deer season ends ther Jan 3rd. So I've got a 10 day non-resident hunting license plus big game permit and antler-less deer tag. Wish me luck (I'll be hunting with my bro-in-law). I'll post up here if I get anything (and a few landscape photos to show the area - dense forest, etc).

First day for South Carolina hunting today. 72 degrees and a full moon don't make for good deer conditions but I'll have some photos later today. It's also supposed to cool down as the week goes on so hopefully the deer will get active. Happy Holidays!

In a tree stand about 110 yards from a feeding area. Very warm temperatures so I'm not keeping my hopes up but I'll have at least 5 hints this coming week.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    351.6 KB · Views: 28
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 28
No report for today. My bro-in-law's neighbor got a doe. Heading back out to the blind in the early morning.

I guess this is the wildlife here. Hoping to send a photo of game by week's end.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    888.4 KB · Views: 29
When hunting bucks sometimes everything starts to look like antlers.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 30
Good luck. I actually just got back from Hilton head island. Temperatures are super warm and humid but seems like the weather should be cooling down a bit. If your near the coast, get a guide to take you out red fishing, the bite was on fire last week and my family I and we're catching tons of redfish over the slot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Success: South Carolina Deer

Hunted dark-to-dark today (grabbed some wings during a break at noon).
Found scrapes (pic 1) after the morning hunt. Decided to hunt that field later in the afternoon (beautiful field with a great blind 15' off the ground at one end - pic 2 is from the blind).
40minutes before sunset a doe entered the field about 110yards from the blind. There was another deer with her but I didn't see that one until I pulled the trigger on the doe. One shot and she fell right on the spot (243 Winchester with 100 grain Winchester Core-Lockt bullets). Pic 3 shows her down in the field. Pic 4 is me with the doe shortly after I thanked her for giving her life.

In total I went out 6 times this week (between lots of family get togethers). It was not only my last day in the Carolinas, but also the last day of deer season for the state.
Great time all around!!
Happy New Years!

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 24
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 24
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    289.3 KB · Views: 22
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 29

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu