South Dakota Pheasant Hunt

SluiceCoot

Oct 25, 2014
Rancho
Just got back from South Dakota on an awesome trip. Left CA way early in the morning and made it to Glenwood Springs, CO where we stayed at the Colorado Hotel (yeah, I know, we didn't rough it that first stop). The following day we made it to South Dakota. We rented a house in Colome and hunted with a guide by the name of Bill Ferguson. He hunts around the Gregory and Winner area. Top notch guide. Because I refused to go to SD and hunt at a lodge that plants birds, I knew it was going to be tough. SD has been in a terrible drought and the opener averaged 1 bird/hunter. We didn't come home with limits but I'm not fanatic about limits anyways. We shot plenty of birds and I had a memorable hunt with my dad and brother. That is all that matters.

On a side note about limits, SD allows group limits. Day 1, I shot two, day 2, I shot 4 and day 3, I shot 5!

.IMG_1559.JPG IMG_1561.JPG IMG_1584.jpg IMG_2715.jpg IMG_3878.JPG IMG_0187.jpg IMG_3851.JPG IMG_3815.JPG IMG_0626.JPG IMG_0677.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Steve,

Looks like a awesome trip (great pix).....Shooting wild roosters is the best.....Congrats and thanks for sharing.

Awesome! Looks like it was a good trip. Gregory co is a cool place. I've got family in Douglas co, love hunting back there. But like you said, it's been tough.

Looks like an awesome trip to a really cool place. Beautiful Weimaraner,both my aunt and uncle had Weimaraners when I was growing up, its nice to see one working. Got to see some Bison too, nice.

Rad report! Wild birds are always more fun!

Great stuff. Beautiful country, great company, excellent guide and good dogs. That’s a winning combination.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Classic pheasant photos. The brown grass, the orange vests, red pheasant necks. Love it. Congrats!

Looks like fun. I remember when the IV was like that with wild birds.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu