Spring Turkey

8SteelTown

Went down to CNF in SD county. Had a little guidance from Johnny on a spot to try. Got in the area Sunday around 2:00 p.m. (last week, not this past weekend). Scouted hard till about 6:00 p.m. There were 1-3 trucks in almost every spot I checked on an 8-9 mile spread. Found an incredible spot that I said, if I was a turkey I'd for sure be posting up!! Everyone I talked to said they hadn't seen or heard anything promising, besides on private land of course. Set up my tent with an awesome view. Had dinner and a couple brewski's and passed out. Woke up at 4:00, got ready and started cruising. Got into some setups that were so sweet... just didn't have any birds in them. Saw a nice doe at about 20 yards and a coyote at about 50 yards at first light. Hate that conundrum... do I take the shot at a good dog opportunity and ruin a 1% chance at a turkey?!?! Probably should've pulled the trigger. Anyway... wanted to get out before the season closed. Had a good time on a solo hunt.

55D2FD56-21F6-4B2B-873D-D02731A9F2DB.jpg

We always say just getting out there is 90% of the success. Perseverance will get you game. Nice job just doing it. I am sure you learned a lot. I learn something every time I step into the field.

Nice view for sure...

Thanks everyone... it was a good time for sure. You're right, LP, always weird and busty to go to a new spot by yourself... tend to walk right through honey holes without even knowing it. Broadens your horizons on seeing different "hunt zones" and how different they are in different sections of the state.

And Wiley, I did bring some Chargers gear... in case I ran out of TP. ::) ;)

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu