Springs come early

D16hunter

Jun 28, 2012
San Diego
This morning on my way to school i saw turkeys gobbling and strutting apparently springs come early. ill try to get pics and post them tommorow it was a flock of 30 birds. hopefully spring comes early for the bass too im fishing a prototype trout swimbait this weekend that me and my friends made and plan to start selling eventually hopefully the bass will bite

Silver Bullet and I seen them struttin and gobbling their heads off last month too. But not with hens. About 30 Toms in one large group. Pretty common for fall behavior, but I never see the toms henned up this early. Not a good sign.

Invisible man said:
Silver Bullet and I seen them struttin and gobbling their heads off last month too. But not with hens. About 30 Toms in one large group. Pretty common for fall behavior, but I never see the toms henned up this early. Not a good sign.

Why is that not a good sign? Less activity for the spring season?

Well opening day is date specific. So if they the birds start early we could miss the first gobbling phase, and be in tough to call in phase at the beginning of the season. Not the end of the world, just not the best situation for the first week or two. And it usually results in hunters not understanding this and going out and calling like crazy and being way too aggressive which can make the birds very hard to get close to later in the season when they start gobbling again. Just what I have seen in past years.

Copy that. Thanks for the clarificaition. I have a few days off for the opener of Spring Turkey. Was planning on camping for a few days and doing minimal calling anyway... Thanks

Gobbling doesn't necessarily mean the start of the breeding season. Toms will gobble all year but this warm weather will definitely get the hens started. Last season we saw poults on the ground on the second weekend of the season. By the sound of it, looks like the birds you guys are seeing are starting their pre spring pecking order. Lets hope that continues till march although I wouldn't be surprised if we see the breeding season begin mid February.

Going off what invisible man said you usually call in hunters rather than the birds….. public land is tough for turkey and when they start early it doesn't make it any easier.

brice s said:
Going off what invisible man said you usually call in hunters rather than the birds…..
Yeah, yikes! Safety first! Back up to a big rock and don't move around!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last year spring season, my buddy called in a NTWF member. He looked shocked to see a group of 4 dudes!

SurfNHuntSD said:
Has anyone ever called in other hunters and got your decoy shot? Just out of curiosity.

I've had two people point a gun at my decoy but I yelled. 1 bobcat Attack one a coyote attack one as well

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu