Steel shot and full choke

DanSanDiego

Venison for Thanksgiving 2016
Sep 18, 2014
I know that most use modified chokes for waterfowl, but I wanted to ask about steel shot with Full chokes.
Recently I noticed that my Full choke (Benelli I) says "No Steel Shot" on it.
So even though I would like to use it with 3" steel shot shells, I'll stick with modified. Have others noticed full chokes stating "No steel shot"?

This is a very well talked about issue. Especially lately. Most full chokes that actually measure out as a full choke can not and should not shoot steel. Some are steel safe especially new ones. Some guys say that they shoot steel through a full choke for years with no problems but it will in the vast majority of barrels, bulge the barrel right at the base of the choke. To me it's not worth a barrel. You can get a steel safe ful choke or go up in price to a heavy shot lead alternative.

See this thread
http://southerncaliforniahunting.com/huntersforum/index.php?topic=8834.0

sent using the FORCE with a JEDI MIND TRICK

It's really simple, if the factory chokes you have say Full Choke and you need the right answer call, write or go on line to the manufacturer. If it says No Steel well there is the answer

Then, once you find out what chokes you can use, go out and pattern the gun with numerous different loads, not every shell will pattern the same in the same choke.

You can also gather more info from other sites where there are guys who might shoot more honkers or turkeys who are very particular about chokes and patterns.

I have found that for the majority of hunting that I do, which are geese, modified or improved modified work best, the best shot being 2's as long as the speed is 1500 plus. Occasionally I will shoot 3.5" shells late season on specs as they become much tougher to kill than they are early

You have to remember that chokes were "invented" when we were all using lead shot for everything. Therefore the standard choke constrictions are what worked for lead shot. Lead shot will deform going through a barrel, not all of them, but enough that you'll get some flyers due to the odd shapes they are mashed into. Steel will deform very little if at all, meaning there won't be many flyers to open up the pattern. I was always told that a mod. choke with steel, will pattern about like a full choke with lead and an IC with steel will pattern like a mod. choke with steel. Unless you intend to really stretch your shots (dare I say some people call it sky-busting?) you really shouldn't need a full choke with steel.

Also, from what I've heard, if you find a full choke that is ok'ed for steel by the manufacture, if you measure it, will measure out as a mod. choke.

Yep.. I have a Franchi with 3 factory Benelli chokes (IC, M, F) and the F is lead only, which is typical, and I rarely use it (M most of the time). On my 870 I occasionally run a High Flyer XF which is made/patterned for steel shot excluding Fed Black Cloud ammo. As the referenced thread warns, watch what u put through your F chokes, as u don't wanna end up calling Benelli for a new barrel.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu