Still hunting... :( (Updated to End Season)

AirRifleHunter

Hike, Scout, Glass, Prepare and then, Get it Done!
Feb 8, 2013
Went hunting early Saturday morning. It was nice and quiet, and cool. I walked and glassed for hours without a single sighting. I did see plenty of tracks, and on my way to park I saw a truck of a guy's brother I know. I was about 600 yards from them. I did my best to stay out of the area I know they hunt because I didn't want to ruin it for them if something was nearby. I hunted until late and left just before dark. Later that night I get a text from them. His nephew got a buck there. Just my fortune:(. I'm way happy for his nephew, but bummed I still haven't got a shot at one. I'll post a photo of his buck later after I get home tonight.

Today I started way early again and I'm still out climbing ridges and glassing my eyes out of their sockets. :) I've been hiking and glassing for hours now and I have probably walked back in this one area about 2 1/2 to 3 miles without seeing anything. I'm a little discouraged, but I'm not giving up. I've still got around 4 1/2 hours of light left and I'm going to keep on glassing and doing my best to fill this tag.

I guess there is always next Friday, Saturday and Sunday to give it one last weekend hoorah. I was really hoping this weekend would be my magic weekend. Guess I should get back at it!

Later

Re: Still hunting...

Well, after the excitement of spotting the two does passed I didn't see any other deer. :( I did see Officer J. Funk of the BLM out there and was asked to show him my license and tag. He was cool and we chatted for a bit and then he went on his way wishing me luck in finding a buck.

It looks like it is down to 3 final days (Friday through Sunday to try and get it done. Well... At least I did finally see a couple of deer. When I get a chance tonight or tomorrow I'll post a photo of my friend's nephew's buck. It wasn't a monster, but looks like it was at least a 3x3 or more.

I hope my other fellow SCH members had better results this weekend than I did. :)

Here is the photo of the buck that was taken within yelling distance of me...

44779e46-919a-4c86-9df4-f70471854019_zps33aa9bf1.gif

Not a monster, but still a decent little buck.

The hunter was well prepared. ;D The belt is a good look! :)

Hang in there buddy! We are pulling for you!
By the way your nephew can make the buck look bigger if he pushes it into the foreground.
Hahaha
;D

Sent via Tapatalk

Lungpopper said:
Nice report. Was that buck with does?

From what my buddy told me, it was a lone buck. They had to stalk it up a hillside and down close to an area near to where I was located. It just didn't make it to where I was, obviously because it got shot first (lol).

Bonejour said:
Hang in there buddy! We are pulling for you!
By the way your nephew can make the buck look bigger if he pushes it into the foreground.
Hahaha
;D
Sent via Tapatalk

He was my buddy's nephew actually. My buddy drove out to help his nephew get the buck back to the truck.

And thanks for the vote of confidence :), I'm pulling for all my fellow SCH'ers to be successful. :)

Re: Still hunting... :(

Well, here's the final report for my season...

Went out Friday up near Laguna and froze my butt off! Got rained, sleeted and snowed on and didn't see anything.

Then went out really early Saturday morning. Met LongBowHunter2 at 4am and we headed to a spot I knew about, but never went there because I was told it was a "zoo" by a few others (we didn't see hardly anyone). On our way there we see loads of deer on the sides of the road, though they are within city limits and on private property. Then as I turn off of that road a HUGE older buck (3x3 rack on him that looks fantastic) takes his sweet time crossing the road right in front of my grill. He acted like it was his road and kept us at a full stop. I think I exclaimed "Are you freakin' kidding me!! Here where we can't even hunt... that figures!!"

Anyway, so we continue on our way talking about all of the deer and the huge buck we had seen. We got there a little later than expected because we missed our turn (things look different driving in the dark, but it was still dark and just starting to lighten up. We grabbed our gear an just before we head out we se a big pile of deer guts right on the side of the road (and a paved road at that). There was blood all over the spot on the road.

We headed down the dirt road and hugged the tree lines, being quiet, alert and very cautious. Just as we are getting ready to head behind some trees to make our way up to another point I see big deer movement. It was big and walked quickly into some cover. I know we didn't do anything to spook it, so I'm wondering what could have spooked it. We clear the trees to head up and look for the deer when we see the reason it fled. A bright orange "Q-tip" head comes bobbing down the center of the swail (small, low valley) walking right down the middle of a highly used trail. We are considerate even though this person just wrecked a chance for us to fill a tak and quietly say "hello". The guy starts talking loudly like no one can hear him. Needless to say I was shaking my head in my mind as this guy acts like deer don't have good hearing and is ruining our (and whoever else might have beem out there's) hunt. Fortunately he is heading a different direction, however the damage has already been done and the possible tag filler has been run off.

We continue on to our previously quiet and slow pace anyway to hopefully track down the big deer I saw. When we get to the spot where I saw the deer we see some "big" deer tracks. We stop and carefully glass every so often. To not make this too long, we never found the deer again though we did hear some turkeys. We left that spot around 10:30am to head to another location.

On our way to another spot we stop for lunch to fuel back up because it is cold outside and we'll need the energy. LBH2 was very kind and bought me lunch. After warming back up we drove to our next entry point and walked on in. We didn't end up seeing anything, even though we sat still behind a little stick blind, in the cold and waited quietly. Another orange hat came walking right down our stand area there too. Oh well, it happens. We decided to walk out before dark since mountain lions have been spotted close by and often. It was a very enjoyable day even though we didn't bag a deer. We'll definitely be doing some hunting in the future. Thanks LBH2! I hope you fill your other A22 tag. :)

I wasn't sure if I was going out Sunday because Saturday night I was tired and had a major league headache. But when I woke up late Sunday morning (6am) and was feeling better, I decided to quickly get dressed and go. I drove out to where I started the season and hiked in at a brisk pace for 2 hours straight which was probably around 4 miles or more easily. The area had loads of fresh deer tracks from that morning. I could tell by how crisp and clean they were in the freshly rained on ground. I climbed up a mountain side, making sure to keep the wind in my face and found a good vantage point out of the wind (mostly). I sat and glassed for hours while trying to stay warm. I didn't see a single deer and I was looking very carefully and thoroughly the whole time. It was tough being that on my way to that spot I could have easily limited on cottontails and bagged 4 jack rabbits... if I hadn't been set and focused on baggin a buck. However since I was deer hunting they got a free pass and I told them I'd be back another day. ;)

I started falling asleep a few times while glassing and decided that was my que to start heading back to the truck since it was such a long walk back, and I didn't want to do that in the dark down a rocky mountainside. I carefully looked and glassed on my way back to my truck and saw more, newly created tracks (as well as allot more rabbits). I never saw a deer, most likely because they were all on the adjacent private property where all of the tracks were leading to.

So it is Tag-larinni for me (instead of tag soup) this year. Hunted 10 out of 30 days, probably a total of 90 to 100 hours of field time, and learned allot for next season. I would have loved to have filled my tag, but guess I have to pay my dues this year. Next year I will probably try fo a G13 tag again, but opt for an A22 tag for a first tag and a D16 for a second tag (if I can get it), that way I'll have options.

I hope you others were able to bag one Sunday to close out your season on a high note. Here's to waiting and counting the days down until next deer season ... ;)

longbowhunter2 said:
Airriflehunter

it was great hunting with you. all the best ;D

LBH2

Thanks, it was great hunting with you too LBH2! We'll have to go hunt some bunnies after you finish the A22 season. Thanks for a great day.

ARH

Mergrath said:
It can absolutely be discouraging but you seem to have the drive to keep pushing. Keep at it, IT WILL HAPPEN!

Thanks Mergrath. I will keep at it and next year I'll be doing it all over again... hopefully with better results. ;)

Lungpopper said:
Keep at it, every time you go out you learn something.

I will Lungpopper, thanks.

I aspire to be able to spot deer as well as those of you who have done this for a while. My goal for next season is to hit is smart and hard and bring home a nice deer, or two if I can get the tags first. ;)

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu