Stove top ruddy duck

8SteelTown

My parents were out for the weekend after Xmas and my dad is a teacher/instructor at Le Cordon Bleu in Sacramento. I had 3 ruddy and he wanted to cook them up... For sure! Salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, olive oil and butter. Cooked over medium heat for about 3 minutes on each side. Almost rare. So good!
image-8.jpg

image-6.jpg

image-7.jpg

Reactions: msailor
stikbrandon said:
Wow looks crazy good ! Howw did it taste?

It was so good bro. Did a water brine to pull the blood out. Tasted almost like steak.

8SteelTown said:
It was so good bro. Did a water brine to pull the blood out. Tasted almost like steak.
8ST,
Can you tell us what was your brine mixture and how long did you soak the breasts?

I probably overkill: I did 2 tablespoons of salt, fine graded pepper, onion powder, garlic powder, red pepper flakes, (I'll add stuff whether it does something or not.Tastes awesome after so it must do something) in a Tupperware with enough water to cover the breasts. Mix the mixture well. Let everything soak together and mix it well again. Brined for 2 hours. Looked way different after the brine. Rested on paper towels to allow the excess water to purge. Cooked at room temp.

Surf&Hunt, I was sketching on it because what I've heard on divers, but it didn't taste earthy or dirty. It was like a bom azz steak. Someone would've thought it was a cut of filet if they didn't know.

You cooked it perfectly. I love duck - it is one of my favorite game foods.

Steel, that was a great tip on how to cook them. We had mallards, wigeon and ring neck (mostly mallard) from last weekend. I'd read that it is key to remove all fat, especially from divers, and remove any shot and damaged meat. The breasts still smelled a little fishy after we'd cleaned them thoroughly, but after an hour or two in that simple brine mixture we couldn't pick up any bad smells. Cooked them rare and sliced them thin. They were as tasty as any duck I've eaten... And I love duck so that's saying a lot.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1421197649.725449.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1421197649.725449.jpg
    292.1 KB · Views: 18
Bonejour said:
Steel, that was a great tip on how to cook them. We had mallards, wigeon and ring neck (mostly mallard) from last weekend. I'd read that it is key to remove all fat, especially from divers, and remove any shot and damaged meat. The breasts still smelled a little fishy after we'd cleaned them thoroughly, but after an hour or two in that simple brine mixture we couldn't pick up any bad smells. Cooked them rare and sliced them thin. They were as tasty as any duck I've eaten... And I love duck so that's saying a lot.

AWESOME Bonejour!!!! COME ON EVERYONE... DRINK THE KOOOOOLAAAAAIDE! ;)

Stumbled across this, gotta admit they look good. But, I'll take word for it, ain't gonna see any stink on my straps. I feel bad not eating a good bird with rice breast, would suck to not eat what I shoot. I tried stink when I first started hunting, no mas!
I applaud you for consuming what you kill :)

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu