Suggestions?

Vermonster

Dec 14, 2012
Okay, I wanted to ask opinions from you guys (or gals) out there. I grew up as an east coast/woods hunter, who is very comfortable sitting in a tree, letting the deer come to me. I took my then 6 year old our last year one time, and we just sat for a little bit by a deer trail, because that's easiest with a little guy. However, even though I have been hunting out here 15ish years, I still haven't gotten the hang of the wide open, spot and stalk method. Plus, not sure how well I can do that with a now 7 year old with me.

So where I need the opinions is with where should I go with the kiddo. I'd like to hear from anyone who has brought out kids of similar age. Obviously the experience is the key, not just getting a deer. And, I understand it's hunting, and kids need to understand that they don't just go get a deer, like it's grocery shopping. However, I would really like to get one, buck or doe, since he really has that itch.

I have 2 choices, totally different places. Without getting too specific, they are Palomar and the Eagle Peak/Boulder Peak areas. No secret, since tons of people are always there. My Palomar area is heavily tree'd, with established deer trails, always have sign, but can never pattern which days they are there. We could go, sit there for a couple hours, and take our chances one walks by. I did see one opening day, it just took the wrong path. EP/BC area on the other hand, is more wide open. Lots of fields, thinner trees, etc. I could go there, and go for a couple hour stroll, hitting the hillsides with binos hoping to see even a solitary deer out and around. I know that would sort of keep me in the "general public" areas, not getting away from the masses and therefore dropping my chances even lower.

So what say you? He's an antsy kid, so sitting for a couple hours may not be good anyway. However, I just want to give him the best chance to see stuff. Thanks guys.....

I have been taking my 10 and 8 year old out with me for the last 4 years. While at times the 8 year old can be antsy, I have found that explaining the process while sitting really gets him excited. For example, he asks "why can't we walk down in the canyon?" I explain the advantages of being up high with a good vantage point. What has really helped me was buying them both of them a pair of binos, so they can imitate what dad does. We did hunt from a ground blind during bow season and while it was good for me, they both constantly complained about not being able to see all around, so I nixed the blind. I have also explained to them that when I stop walking they stop walking, and always stay behind me unless I tell them otherwise. Turns out my 8 year old has great eyes for spotting deer. I have accepted the fact that whenever I am out with my boys hunting that my chances of taking a deer drops, but I'm okay with that. Its like LP told me last year when I was explaining a situation to him "we enjoy those moments so much, we (dads) never want the hunt to end."

I'm trying it with a three year old. Ha I think my meat deer will die soon. Problaly solo lol. Although it's a lot of fun and won't stop taking him

Id say you should road hunt i nearly got turned off to hunting when i was 8 when my dad took me on an 6 mile hike and i was miserable and dehydrated maybe try to do short hikes till hes older

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think it's great all you guys taking your sons hunting. My dad would take me fishing when I was young, but he didn't really know what he was doing and (being young) I got impatient quickly. Mostly he let me work on cars with him. He died when I was young and I cherish the few memories I have of him.

Life is short and fragile. I'd take an afternoon with my dad over a freezer full of meat any day. Keep it up guys.

Maybe deer out here might be a little much to ask for from an energenic young fella. I say pull out the 22 and go squirrel or rabbit hunting. Faster pace, more chances to score and "clean" for practice. I had to wait until my boy was around 16 before we went out and scored us one. We were in West Virginia for that one. Or heck, just go out there and have fun, if you don't tag out, so what. You have your time together!

Agreed. Its all about having fun. I speak with no experience with a 7 year old but I say try the ground blind. Spend the morning in it. If nothing is to be seen then head out and strech the legs a little. If he fidgets at least the blind will hide his movements.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu