Summer jackrabbit tacos

Blopple

Aug 29, 2022
San Diego
Was pretty wary of this as I have heard almost nothing but bad things about eating jacks.

Butchered out the hind legs, forelegs, and saddle. Unfortunately had to trim away a bit of a thigh and one side of the saddle due to stray pellets and meat damage. Made sure to trim off as much fascia as I could before cooking as well. Brined in the fridge for ~6 hours. Browned in a pan then into the slow cooker. Added some spicy pico de gallo, 1 can of chipotles in adobo and a healthy, eyeballed amount of cumin and garlic powder. Slow cooked for 6 hours on low. Removed the meat, shredded the it off the bones and added back into the juices/peppers.

Yellow corn tortillas, lettuce, guacamole, pickled carrots/jalapenos, and lettuce. Cheese would probably be a welcome addition, but I tend to avoid dairy.

Came out tender and delicious, will happily shoot more in the future. Also pleasantly surprised with the amount of meat compared to cottontails.

Attachments

• PXL_20220921_135255967.jpg
    PXL_20220921_135255967.jpg
    419 KB · Views: 16
  • PXL_20220921_141517989.MP.jpg
    PXL_20220921_141517989.MP.jpg
    471.4 KB · Views: 16
  • PXL_20220921_141541417.jpg
    PXL_20220921_141541417.jpg
    279 KB · Views: 16
ya this is pretty much how I do them also. recipe works well with water fowl also. Good stuff.
I saw another recipe that was something like garlic/honey/soy sauce that I want to try. Also gonna give less seasoning in general a shot now that I'm not afraid that they taste bad haha.

Reactions: TRICER
Where did you get the jacks? Thinking about a quail hunt in SE Arizona this winter. Would like to take a dozen or so of those monster large jacks in the area. Have a friend who says their backstraps and hindquarters are superb eating, if prepared correctly. Those montsters are the size of a fox.

@doccherry

Got 'em just east of San Diego on some BLM land. Primarily out looking for quail actually, but thought it might be fun to do some hunting along with the scouting.

They do get big! This one wasn't huge, but I feel like I've seen some monsters for sure.

Good to know.
I am always tempted to cook one but the couple I have taken looked pretty ugly..so I don't shoot them no more..if I don't eat them i don't eat them, unless they are coyotes.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu