Super-Newb Checking In Here!

acestriker

Dec 3, 2015
Orange County
Hey Guys, I am glad that I found this Forum and you all have been very helpful and Informative (I’ve been lurking for a year or so). I like to consider myself an Avid Outdoorsman, EXCEPT everything I do is in the water and have not tested the land yet. I Fish trout in the lakes/creeks, bass inshore and tuna offshore, spearfish, scuba, and surf. The only thing I haven’t done is hunt on land and I am trying to change that, but it has been quite the mission to figure it out!

I am a big supporter and advocate of “living off the land”. I thought fishing regulations were difficult to follow, but lurking around I have found that learning how to hunt, understanding the super complex regulations, and keeping up with the changes are more difficult that any class I have attended in College.

Here is my small collection but none have harvested any food for the Freezer:

Beretta A300 Max5 12/28

Savage Trophy Hunter 30-06

Ruger 10/22

CZ USA 75B 9mm

Thanks Everyone for keeping this an open forum and allowing me to join in!

(Vince N., Age 33, Sex. Male, Location: Central Orange County)

Any suggestions of what I need to get started or informed would be greatly appreciated and extremely helpful! Suggestions on Hunting and Shooting Public/Private Land Boundary Maps, Books on hunting different type of games, and/or Etc…

I have my hunting license, Duck Stamps and applications, Upland bird, but I am also looking into Deer hunting and Pig Hunts.

Help a brother out! Thanks!

Welcome Vince. It sounds like you have a good setup already with your shotgun and rifle, and I'm a fan of the CZ75 as well (let me know if you want to sell it lol).

Other useful things starting out would be a good pair of binos (recent threads have hit on some good starter glass.. e.g. Vortex, Leupold) and maps. I recommend some hard copy maps of National Forest and BLM land, and you may want to try smartphone apps like OnX Maps as well. Hunting public land you'll start nerding out on maps, getting to know the legal boundaries and promising areas, then actually getting your boots on the ground to scout. It's the early archery season down here right now but you still have some time to scout before the general deer season opens, assuming you've gotten a tag already.

Thanks for the info SurfNHuntSD. Very cool of you to pass on some knowledge to get me started. i really appreciate it!

I just bought about $50 worth of Service Maps from the BLM. Anyone need a scan copy?

Also, just bought a Luepold 10x50 Wind River Olympic Binos for $150 from a guy who is selling them on BloodyDecks. I'll create a post if anyone is looking.

I haven't bought my deer tag yet since my BLM maps haven't arrived. Can anyone point me in the right direction of what zones I should be looking at? I live in Santa Ana, Orange County, but am willing to travel up to 2-3 hours north or south.

Not looking to poach anyone's area, but would D11 or D13 at least give me a chance to harvest a deer? I assume there is little to No hunting in the D15 Santa Ana Zone?

Welcome Vince. It sounds like you have a good setup already with your shotgun and rifle, and I'm a fan of the CZ75 as well (let me know if you want to sell it lol).

Other useful things starting out would be a good pair of binos (recent threads have hit on some good starter glass.. e.g. Vortex, Leupold) and maps. I recommend some hard copy maps of National Forest and BLM land, and you may want to try smartphone apps like OnX Maps as well. Hunting public land you'll start nerding out on maps, getting to know the legal boundaries and promising areas, then actually getting your boots on the ground to scout. It's the early archery season down here right now but you still have some time to scout before the general deer season opens, assuming you've gotten a tag already.

Its not called poaching, its hunting. If its public land then it is your area also. People wont share specific spots but people here will provide encouragement for your hard work...so you could put in more HARD work. Remember you signed into a forum, not a guide service.

D-15: with hunting if you assume something, especially if you're new, then you are going to miss opportunities. I hunt 15 because the 2-3 hours you spend traveling, im already hunting. Chances of harvesting-super slim. Chances come with hard work, perseverance,etc. If you love outdoors, you will love hunting 15. If you like the beauty of overlooking orange county at break of dawn then its for you. If you're going to be depressed because you didnt score, then look elsewhere. Its an ass kicking place. Not the fun sense but the grueling type.

Regarding "chances", DFW website will show you success rates of specific zones. They're not great. It took me 3 years of mostly solo learning to get one. Of course there are some people who are just lucky and bypass the hard work.

Thank you xjon, I definitely love the outdoors and what you describe sounds ideal for a quick morning or afternoon trip without burning me out. The pursuit is a big part of my overall experience and enjoyment of being in the outdoors.

If I can harvest one locally that that would be a big bonus for sure, but not expected. I definitely need to do more homework and put boots on the ground. The work and effort required has been more than I imagined, but maybe that’s why my interest is growing for it (other than being able to live off the land). I like doing things that weed out people who are weak, lazy or trendy and hunting is definitely very challenging!

Thanks for chiming in and I appreciate the feedback! I hope other newbs are also reading this and are able to take something away from what you guys have shared. Great support and knowledge being shared here!

Its not called poaching, its hunting. If its public land then it is your area also. People wont share specific spots but people here will provide encouragement for your hard work...so you could put in more HARD work. Remember you signed into a forum, not a guide service.

D-15: with hunting if you assume something, especially if you're new, then you are going to miss opportunities. I hunt 15 because the 2-3 hours you spend traveling, im already hunting. Chances of harvesting-super slim. Chances come with hard work, perseverance,etc. If you love outdoors, you will love hunting 15. If you like the beauty of overlooking orange county at break of dawn then its for you. If you're going to be depressed because you didnt score, then look elsewhere. Its an ass kicking place. Not the fun sense but the grueling type.

Regarding "chances", DFW website will show you success rates of specific zones. They're not great. It took me 3 years of mostly solo learning to get one. Of course there are some people who are just lucky and bypass the hard work.

Like surfnhunt suggested, +1 with ONX hunt app. If you are starting out at unfamiliar areas, it will quickly become your best friend and will help keep you out of trouble.
Better get going, we have 2 weeks left to scout.

great thinking! My main concern is staying out of trouble and being on allowable land. definitely will buy! Thanks!

Like surfnhunt suggested, +1 with ONX hunt app. If you are starting out at unfamiliar areas, it will quickly become your best friend and will help keep you out of trouble.
Better get going, we have 2 weeks left to scout.

The basics of hunting , safety first, always identify the game before pointing at it. Far as big game hunting. Know the area. Look for sign on the game trails. Tracks, scat, feeding grounds, and bedding areas. Know your quarry. Finding them and being patient till it makes a mistake. Know the terrain , feed, and bedding areas. This is hard work and it takes Patience .

Pick up national forest maps, BLM, and the OX Hunt app. Read and ask a way. TOPO Maps are always helpful. If still hunting take you time and stop often and watch for movement. Powerful glass is very helpful. Look for part of the deer. I mostly see their big ears first. Or horns. When I still had my legs. I would go strait up the mountain. And walk below the crest of the mountains and walk at a snails pace. Wind in my face. Make virtually no noise. Sorry about the spelling no sleep.

Thanks longbowhunter2! I just received my BLM maps and have been looking it over to understand it better. Still trying to figure out where possible access areas and allowable car parking areas would be. I'll get the ONX hunt app and maybe it will provide better details.

Anyone have any info as to where we are allowed to park our cars before we hike in? I will most likely be scouting the South/SE area of D11 or the W/NW side of D15 in the Santa Ana Mountains and don't know the cans vs. cannots for the areas. Time to shell out more money to buy the ONX hunt app....

Pick up national forest maps, BLM, and the OX Hunt app. Read and ask a way. TOPO Maps are always helpful. If still hunting take you time and stop often and watch for movement. Powerful glass is very helpful. Look for part of the deer. I mostly see their big ears first. Or horns. When I still had my legs. I would go strait up the mountain. And walk below the crest of the mountains and walk at a snails pace. Wind in my face. Make virtually no noise. Sorry about the spelling no sleep.

Reactions: longbowhunter2
Thanks Brother, best thing is do excursion out and physically check it out. but don't park in front of locked gate blocking the entrance. park out of the way. any access parking is were it does not say no parking and you off the main road. unfortunately I don't hunt up your way so I can't advise. just check it all out and scope out the areas. best of luck.

Reactions: acestriker

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu