TAG APPLICATION HELP

DEW_0341

Apr 19, 2015
so I'm new to the tag application system for California, I want to try and get a an A22 tag do I need to put in for the draw for it or is it OTC. and is there any OTC archery tags for southern California? I'm new to California draw system and method of application. I have done Utah, Colorado and Arizona but now that I live here its first time so any help is awesome.

If it is in a "X" zone, you will have to put in for the draw. Otherwise, if my understanding is correct, all other zone that have a separate archery season, you can buy OTC. You need to download or pick up the Big Game Hunting book and it should clarify which zones are draws for archery.

We all really need to read the regs each year because the way we apply for each zone might change every year depending on the date which the zone sold out the previous year.
Now as far as this year goes to the best of my knowledge a-22 is first come first serve. This state doesn't necessarily have Otc tags however your best chance would be to just apply early and if it is first come you will get it in a couple of weeks. The ao tag is your best choice for over the counter tag.
But read the regs to know for sure, never take anybody word for it, I know someone who took someone's advice now they can't hunt for 2 years.
Remember don't take bad shots

The simple answer to your question is: no, you don't have to enter the draw for A22 (this year), you can buy it right now.

For 2016, A22 is 'restricted'. Anything unrestricted or restricted can be bought OTC until they sell out. Which means you could go buy it right now at DFG or anywhere that sells licenses (Fine Firearms, Big 5, Dicks(?), etc). But you will not be able to enter the draw for a premium tag, nor buy another restricted tag. You can only have 1 restricted OR premium tag per year.

So the clever thing is to apply in the draw for point only, or a premium tag as your first choice, then A-22 for your second. Then you get a point and your A-22.

Also note: anything leftover by Aug 2nd becomes OTC/unrestricted.

or Big 5, or Walmart, or Fine Firearms in La Mesa, or any bait and tackleshop. if your in SD go into Fine Firearms and chat with john or nic and let them know what your plans are, its good to look at california as a 3-6 point state in my opinion.

But then again I know nothing :-[

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu