Taught My daughter all the wrong things, apparently

ratz

Feb 17, 2011
Some knucklehead shows up late, crowds me and stumbles into the deer I was tracking.

I taught my daughter as much as I could.
I taught her to scout multiple spots.
Know your terrain, and the surroundings.
Make sure you know where your going to sit, have a backup plan.
Make sure you have a shooting lane
know your weapon and your comfort level of distances you can shoot
Look for signs, know that there is deer in there.
Get in your spot early, and don't screw up some one else hunt.
Be considerate, and respectful.

Well I did all those, watch a buck for over a week ( the biggest buck I have seen in San Diego so far. about 180lbs, and a 2x3.) and got in my spot by 5am

People were still rolling in after 6am, between 6 and 6:30, I counted 7 cars some of them had spot lights out. One of the last guy to show up near me came in and 6:15, saw someone in his spot.
So he walks into my spot/area, busting through the brush, so I shine a light at him. He yells to his buddy, " some one is there, we need to move."
I thought he left. Turns out he was about 100ft from me. I finally see the buck i had been watching and two does walk out of the brush about 325 yds away, I make double sure he's legal, but I don't like the shot ( quartered toward me, between bushes) i see the doe come toward me, I see he is going to follow. They are heading toward me, he comes out of the bushes, but at an angle where I can't see him yet, and then.... My ears get rung by the guy sitting that close to me as he unloads his gun on this thing. The first two shots miss him ( at about 125yds) then he finally spines this thing, and it is kicking about. He waits about 4 minutes, walks out to it, and puts another round into its neck the size of a football. I just wanted to cry. All the work and effort, and this guy who does everything wrong gets the buck. Me or anyone else would have been better.

Moral of the story:
Its Ok to not scout ( I talked to him, he had no idea this buck is here) show up late, bust in on someone else spot, not leave, and not make good ethical shots.
Moral 2:
Its public land, and there is not a damn thing you can do about it!
downsized_1029110756.jpg

Sorry to hear that ratz. Your daughter deserves to see better than that. Public land can be a bit frustrating. You did the right thing and have taught your girl well. Don't be discouraged. The bucks are still out there. Get back out there and find another. Week days are better if you can swing the time away from school/work.

I feel a little of your pain. The big buck I had been tracking for a month now was taken by a guy who shot it out of his car on the side mirror. Just makes you want to cry.

Good luck out there.

That really sucks,but that happens on public land.
Consider this.
1 The guy that shot that deer is probably not coming back.
2 The does are still there.
3 Good chance they are still in estrus.
4 A new buck moves in tonight
5 You have a really good chance of still killing a buck in that spot.

He was totally low to the ground, following that doe at a fast pace. I am pretty sure he is in rut, look at that neck!
Also when this guy gutted it, he tore it up! he cut the stomach open, got contents all over the meat, just cut though the lower intestines. What a mess.
I was surprised by seeing a few un-chewd acords in his stomach.

Lungpopper said:
That really sucks,but that happens on public land.
Consider this.
1 The guy that shot that deer is probably not coming back.
2 The does are still there.
3 Good chance they are still in estrus.
4 A new buck moves in tonight
5 You have a really good chance of still killing a buck in that spot.
Thank you, I have been hanging my head, and generally depressed since then.
You have made me feel like there is hope.
I am going to head out there again Wednesday.
Fingers crossed!

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu