Texas boar hunt

Hollowpoint

Dec 22, 2016
Last week I was in Texas, we made a round with the dogs that have been in the kennel for the last two months. We get to the ranch and check the first spot, two dogs trailed off for about 240 yards then returned.

We go check the next spot and three dogs get going, they go about 280 yards and start barking bayed. Let the other non catch dogs out they get in the mix, drop the catch dogs, 1 bull dog, 1 bull/bird cross and 1 bmc, the ol’ boy that I hunt with can’t get down there so I head to the action through a cedar thicket by myself.

As I get closer there’s not much noise so I know it’s a mean one, I hear dogs fighting in the darkness. I ease in a little closer and the boar breaks loose from the dogs, pucker factor increases exponentially now, the locomotive and the dog train are coming down the tracks and I’m in the way.

Luckily he veers to my left just out of my lights range so I still don’t have eyes on him yet, he gets about 25 yards and the dogs put the brakes on him. They stop in a clearing, I get to the crime scene and try to get behind him so I can leg and stick him. He’s sitting on his haunches when I get there, but when he sees me he gets up and spins dragging the dogs with him trying to get at me. I’m concerned for my safety while trying to get to the back end. The dogs finally get him under control just long enough for me to get a quick stick in him, that seemed to take a little steam out of him. He slowed enough now I just grabbed his tail and put the tassie tiger in him until I hit the oil pump.

We had a couple dogs get nicked up a bit, we tended to their wounds and called it a night thankful for what we got done. I’m not as experienced as the guys that do this all the time but we finished the fight we started with minimal damage. Not gonna lie, he didn’t have the biggest teeth, but he had the biggest heart of any hog I’ve been on.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu