Texas feral pig & whitetail deer

I lived in Texas for a couple years and unless you have a lease or a friend with a ranch you might as well forget about deer and hog hunting. You will find coyotes all through suburban neighborhoods though.

If you are into sitting over bait and waiting on the animals for feeding time like you are at the zoo, Texas will be up your alley. This has been my experience, I really hope there is someone that has different insight.

atombombmx said:
If you are into sitting over bait and waiting on the animals for feeding time like you are at the zoo, Texas will be up your alley. This has been my experience, I really hope there is someone that has different insight.

Not all baiting/ feeders = a petting zoo. I agree that there is a lot of private land though.

My good friend lives in and hunts in Texas for everything under the sun. Baiting is a legal means of hunting certain animals but he will tell you its not without effort.

LBH2, my buddy said Texas is a great place for hogs on ranches that charge minimal trespass fees. He said the whitetail hunting can get pricey though. What are you looking to hunt?

but he will tell you its not without effort.
[/quote]

Yeah, hoisting those bags of corn up to put in the feeder is rigorous work ;D

I'm just playing.

atombombmx said:
but he will tell you its not without effort.

Yeah, hoisting those bags of corn up to put in the feeder is rigorous work ;D

I'm just playing.
[/quote]

Ok....I laughed. :)

Actually Texas has very little public land.
Here's a cut out of an article from the Texas Land Conservatory:
Why is land conservation important in Texas?

Texas loses over 200,000 acres of open land every year to the pressures of development and urban sprawl.
Ninety-five percent of Texas’ land is privately-owned, which is vasty different from other western states of our scale, natural beauty and environmental diversity. Because of this, private lands conservation is one of the only comprehensive methods for protecting lands in Texas.
The population of Texas will grow 71% in the next 30 years, with pressure most heavily on land in counties surrounding our urban areas.
From 1997 to 2007, the top 50 high-growth counties accounted for 93% of the state’s population growth, while experiencing 50% of the decline in agricultural lands.*
Overall, Texas experiences a loss of about 270 acres of agricultural land for each 1,000 new residents added to the population.*

That's 95% of Texas that's off limits unless you know someone or pay a trespass fee...kinda sucks since there is so much land there.

Breacher

whitetail deer & feral hogs.
Thanks for the info.

Jim

wow thanks for the info.

downloaded info from the Texas DFG
keep it coming. I am not deterred yet.

maybe I need to chose another state.
like New Mexico

Hunted a ranch in Texas back in 06. Hunted over feeders. Saw lots of deer and javalina, no hogs. I really enjoyed it it's the only hunt that I have been on that I didn't put miles on my feet.
They are picky about the deer they take out of the herd so don't think it's a shooting gallery. I took two deer in four days, the deer I shot (management bucks) were the only shooters that we saw. Lots and lots of young deer and a couple of big bucks that were way out of my price range.

Thanks LP for the great info.

I see from the DFG website the eastern area of Texas has many Public Hunting Lands.
that allow archery & General Deer, feral hog. ect......

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu