Thanksgiving in Wyoming

Sep 26, 2012
My hunting partner of 8 years has a sister and brother-in-law who run a farm in Wyoming, near the Montana border. Last year, while we were out hunting (and seeing nothing), his sister called him and left him a voicemail, saying "I woke up this morning and looked out the window, and there were 6 deer in the driveway. I don't know what to do. Maybe if someone could come hunt these things...I don't know...give me a call." She was laying it on thick, that's for sure. We had been talking about going up there for years, but I said "we've GOT to make this happen." Well, we missed the deadline for putting in for the lottery, so we decided to get doe tags, and make this a "scouting" trip. I got online, and discovered a few issues:
1. When purchasing the reduced-price doe/fawn tags after the lottery had concluded (over-the-counter, so to speak), the price drops from $48 to $34 for a tag, because there's no application fee involved.
2. These are limited-quota tags, meaning they only issue 1200 of them for this particular area, and there's no limit to how many you can buy, until the quota is met- but they'll only let you buy 20 at a time online. Then you have to log off, and log back on to buy another 20, and so on, until they're all sold. Or, you can buy them over the counter.

Ok, so I'm only kidding that those are problems. Really? Non-resident doe tags cost less than a CA deer tag? Oh yeah!

A couple days ago, she sent him a text with this:
wy2.gif

And this:
wy1.gif

She says there were about 35 in one field, 40 in another, and more across the street! This is all right outside the house!

The plan is to go up for Thanksgiving week and bring home at least two apiece. And if we have time remaining, with nothing to do, there are pheasants and grouse that need to be thinned as well.

Stack em' up Don! Sounds like a great video opportunity too.

On Saturday morning, Nov 17, I started out toward Wyoming. The scenery was beautiful, especially in Utah. I stopped in Provo for the night, and continued onward in the morning, cutting across Southern WY, then heading North through Casper. I saw a couple herds of antelope in the south, but wow, there were herds every couple of miles along the 25 and the 90! Next time I go, I'm getting antelope tags, as well. Southern WY is beautiful in its own way, but Northern WY...gorgeous. I arrived at my destination around dinner time.
DSCN0189.gif
I had planned on this being only a rifle hunt for me, but when I got there, I learned that the land owner preferred that we use archery equipment, since only the western border of the property has a proper backstop (a ridge), and there are homes in all other directions. I had not brought my bow, so he lent me his. Over the next couple days, however, I took 3 shots, and missed all 3. I took some time to shoot it for a while and figure out why, and determined that the arrow rest was to blame, not fully coming to the detent each time, causing the POI to change with every shot.
DSCN0165.gif
The property is bordered to the east by a creek , which is lined with willows and brush, and holds a LOT of whitetail, pheasants, and turkey. The mule deer go up and down the ridge on the western border, coming down to feed in the cut alfalfa fields. The pheasants and grouse come out to feed in the fields as well. The pheasants run for the brush at the first sign of danger, and don't really hold well because there is no cover in the field. They do hold in the willows and brush around the creek, but that's so thick that when they flush, you can't get a shot. The grouse on the other hand, will frequently wait in the field until you get within 45 yards before they flush. When sitting in a ground blind waiting for deer, I could have taken limits of pheasants (3 per day), but I was focussed on deer, and didn't end up getting any.
DSCN0180.gif
On Wednesday afternoon, our host was disappointed at our lack of success, so he told us to get our rifles out and shoot some deer in the field that is bordered by a ridge. We quickly took 3 whitetail does that evening. I also shot two grouse.
DSCN0194.gif
DSCN0191.gif
Thursday morning, I shot another whitetail, knocking it to the ground. Then, it got up and ran away, but I had no opportunity for a follow-up shot. Its tail was down, but it wasn't hunched up like you would expect from a gut shot. It wasn't limping as if shot in the leg. As it ran, it stumbled oddly in the rear end, but only once. I watched it until it disappeared from view, but later couldn't find a blood trail. I was completely puzzled, and disappointed that I had wounded an animal. I decided that that tag was filled.
Later that morning, we went after the turkeys, and I was able to get a head shot on one at about 30 yards. They were so unpressured, that they frequently would let you get withing 30 yards of them once they hit the brushline at the creek before they would fly away or cross the property line to the neighbor's place. My first turkey, and on Thanksgiving morning!
DSCN0198.gif
I needed to leave early on Friday, but since we still had two tags left, I agreed to an early morning hunt the next day (as long as I could jet out of there by 10:00). We got a mule deer doe, and as I finished quartering it, the turkeys came out to play. I sent my partner after them, and heard a shot (he missed). Then he called me, saying that he had found the deer I had shot the previous morning. It was weak and immobile, so we quickly dispatched it. I saw why it had been able to run away after being knocked down. Apparently, my shot (taken while prone in the middle of the field) was deflected by some stubble, and had hit the deer in the jaw, messing it up pretty bad. I'm so glad we found it, and were able to put it down. That filled our fifth tag, but by the time it was quartered, and everthing was cleaned up, and packed up, it was 1:00!
DSCN0212.gif
My return trip was longer, because I decided to drive through Montana on the way back. I took some breaks to get in catnaps from time to time, and made it home safely on Saturday evening.
Our final tally was 4 whitetail deer, 1 mule deer, 1 turkey, and 4 grouse. We didn't shoot this guy, though:
th_DSCN0203.gif

Wow, quite the hunting property there. Bummer about the bow issue's but looks like in the end it was a very successful hunt. Congrats!

Nice trip report Don. Thanks for taking the time to post. I enjoyed the pictures and the excellent narration.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu