The New Guy

JACimages

Mar 25, 2013
Santa Clarita
Finally obtained my Hunting License after growing up around it as a child and young adult. Due to unfortunate family circumstances was never given to opportunity to personally hunt. Currently i am 24 years old and I joined this board as i am embarking on the journey of hunting to gain knowledge and the camaraderie that surrounds hunting. My main goal is be an all-around hunter, being able to take large and small game, varmint, upland, and water fowl while giving back to the land. I currently own.

Remington 1100 12ga.
Weatherby Vanguard 7mm MAG w/ a Leupold v2 3-9x40
Ruger 77/22 .22mag

I currently live in the Santa Clarita and am looking for a sense of direction to start in. I have been browsing for public grounds to start at and any help is greatly appreciated. If you have any questions for me feel free to ask.

Thanks

Excellent first post JAC! Sounds like you have the hardware to get started. Welcome to the website!

Welcome to SCH JAC. There is quite abit of public land in your area buy some maps for the public land around you.
Your pretty close to the Tejon ranch if you want to spend some money on your new habit. Have fun

Thanks for the welcome. My first trip is to a friends vineyard in Paso Robles, we also have access to his neighbors ranch. He said they have an abundance of Yotes and small game but not too much pig, Im going to bring a tag just in case 8) If no pig i will contribute to the riddance of dogs.

Lungpopper said:
Welcome to SCH JAC. There is quite abit of public land in your area buy some maps for the public land around you.
Your pretty close to the Tejon ranch if you want to spend some money on your new habit. Have fun

Where is the best places to purchase maps. I see them on the DFG website but got a little confused. Also is there any easy breakdowns of Seasons, times, limits, species, etc?

I get my maps from here. You can break it down by state, forest or wilderness.

http://nationalforeststore.com/

As for the season dates. Its all there on the DFG site under the hunting tab. Keep surfing it and you'll become familiar with it.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu