The one that got away

Americanpride

Jul 23, 2018
Friday late afternoon I was walking along the trail, I froze in my tracks and I noticed a group of 6-7 deer approximately 300 yards away. I slowly reach for my binos. There was a massive guy in the group. One round loaded into the chamber of my Savage 7mm Rem. Mag. I get to 104 yards and drop down into the prone positions, my heart was racing as I was excited for my first deer. I take slow deep breathes to slow my heart rate back to normal an line the cross hairs right behind the front right shoulder. Flip the safety over to fire and slowly squeeze the trigger... click, round misfires. I load another round into the chamber and back in business, or so I thought. Click another misfire. What are the chances, 2 misfires. I stand up walk back and grab my brother-in-laws 30-.06 and they take off. I slowly walk in the direction they ran and there he was feeding in grass. Every step I took he'd just stare at me. The sun was falling fast so I sat tight hoping that he'd walk closer. Once he was within a comfortable dusk time range I drop down. A doe walks in front of him and doesn't move, sun goes down and the rest is history.
Saturday morning I make my way back to the spot with high hopes and came across a flock of turkey so I stop and grab my bow and chase them for awhile haha. No wild turkey for me this year. Our group sets up our bow target to mess around and practice. We have to leave by 10 a.m. the latest so we can makes it to my daughters volleyball championship game, which she won, we grabbed the binos to see a hawk that looked like a bald eagle. 9 a.m. and we're ready to get going, I decide to scan the tree line one more time. There was a buck about 350 yards out. I grab my brother-in-laws rifle and slowly make my way towards him hidden from his line of site thanks to a massive oak. He's slowly eating toward me. He stops and I range him, 130 yards, no problem. I notice he's a 2x1, good size though, so I ask a buddy if that's a legal buck and he says yes (I hope that is legal). I line up the cross hairs, slowly squeeze the trigger, boom rifle goes off buck down. Legs stiff no more movement. we make quick work gutting him so I can make my way to my daughters game. Stop by Costco in Temecula for some ice and stuff him... He's now in my freezer ready to be eaten.

Thank you Mr Deer for allowing me to move one step closer toward no market meat. My kids loved the taste and are looking forward to the next venison meal. I am grateful.Deer1.jpgDeer.jpgdeer2.jpg

Last edited:
Nice effort! Missing that monster will keep you highly motivated for next season. And get that 7mm in the shop ASAP!!

Oh wow... a 5x4 huh? Can't imagine how awesome that'd be to see in person. Can't imagine how much rage those two misfires must have induced in you man. At least the forest decided to give you a consellation prize man!

Oh wow... a 5x4 huh? Can't imagine how awesome that'd be to see in person. Can't imagine how much rage those two misfires must have induced in you man. At least the forest decided to give you a consellation prize man!

Thanks Larry. The consolation prize was nice. I'm glad I was able to at least tag one for the first time. Being in the outdoors is rewarding enough, however, being able to finally put some natural meat on the table is great. The other guy still haunts me. Hopefully I can tag him next year. As for now, I'm going to try all other hunting, duck, rabbit, quail.

Start getting into predator hunting too man. That will teach you about how to better pick where you're going to sit at. Teach you to think about many things together when picking your sit spot. It'll make you think more about that choice.

Plus when looking for yotes you're going to run in to deer as well.

Start getting into predator hunting too man. That will teach you about how to better pick where you're going to sit at. Teach you to think about many things together when picking your sit spot. It'll make you think more about that choice.

Plus when looking for yotes you're going to run in to deer as well.
I'll look into those hunts for sure.

Reactions: longbowhunter2
While you're out and about... make note of places where you might happen to see lots of Ground Squirrels milling around too! (Usually late afternoon) It's mad-fun sniping them with the .17 HMR! And them being smaller targets, they are very good training for your marksmanship skills.

For example: I did the math once and if I remember correctly what I figured out was that hitting a sparrow with a 1" high body at 20yds... was about the equivalent, visually, to what you'd see if trying to hold the crosshairs on target on a deers body at 200yds.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu