Throwback Thursday...Waterfowl

ilovesprig

Staff member
Aug 3, 2012
Escondido
Really not that long ago (30-40 years or so), but things have changed some since then...No breathables, Sitka, or Super Black Eagles back then.......:joy:

Locations...Vail Lake, Wister, Union Trac, Oceanside, north end of the Salton Sea, Vail Lake, Lake Isabella, Crowley Lake, Bridgeport Reservoir, Wister, Carrizo Flats

.014.JPG011.JPG003.JPG004.JPG006.JPG007.JPG002.JPG015.JPG019.JPG041.JPG036.JPG

very cool steve....Oceanside looks like a different planet now...wister looks like time hasn't changed it at all

very cool steve....Oceanside looks like a different planet now...wister looks like time hasn't changed it at all

TJ,

That O'Side pic is actually Bonsall across from the church on Hwy 76....Here's O'side closer to College & Hwy 76 in about 1978... :blush:

Wister is similar, but different too...Look at the size of the dike...Every field had a about 15 per section...Way different than today with 2 or 3.

031.JPG
032.JPG034.JPG014.JPG016.JPG

Reactions: SurfNHuntSD
Oceanside huh? That's wild...

Adam,

Hunted the barley fields where Wal-Mart and College Blvd meet...Loaded with pheasant too.... :blush:

The 2nd pick is my friend Mike Imoto & his dad...This was the last honker we got there...1984...You can see they're starting to grade for houses...:pensive:

.old pix gagnan pheasant 78.JPGold pix oside lat honker 1984.JPG

Last edited:
Very nice. Pictures say a thousand words. Boy time flies when yer havin fun.

Very nice. Pictures say a thousand words. Boy time flies when yer havin fun.

Mac,

Here's one up your way...I think it was the Ventura River...For a number of years, we had this place to ourselves...My friend Glenn grows strawberries next to the river.

.vr ducks 1-28-12 008.JPGvr duck hunt 1-15-12 012.JPG

Yea that river i bowfish carp in now.
The strawberry fields used to make camarillo smell like strawberries. But more development took that away. I been watchin to see if any ducks come back to that river as all i ever see are straglers. And alot if it driied up. Be nice to see ducks like that again here.
Ive seen a thousand ducks on a feeding frenzy in strawberry fields and they were going at it. Mowin down those strawberries back in the day. We had soo many ducks they used ppl back yard pools for nesting

Last edited:
Really not that long ago (30-40 years or so), but things have changed some since then...No breathables, Sitka, or Super Black Eagles back then.......:joy:

Locations...Vail Lake, Wister, Union Trac, Oceanside, north end of the Salton Sea, Vail Lake, Lake Isabella, Crowley Lake, Bridgeport Reservoir, Wister, Carrizo Flats

.View attachment 54504View attachment 54505View attachment 54506View attachment 54507View attachment 54508View attachment 54509View attachment 54510View attachment 54511View attachment 54512View attachment 54513View attachment 54514
Awesome!!

TJ,

That O'Side pic is actually Bonsall across from the church on Hwy 76....Here's O'side closer to College & Hwy 76 in about 1978... :blush:

Wister is similar, but different too...Look at the size of the dike...Every field had a about 15 per section...Way different than today with 2 or 3.

View attachment 54515
View attachment 54516View attachment 54517View attachment 54518View attachment 54519

Funny that the geese still land almost exactly where I think that Oceanside pic was taken.

Used to watch them come in everyday at school lol

Reactions: ilovesprig
Funny that the geese still land almost exactly where I think that Oceanside pic was taken.

Used to watch them come in everyday at school lol

Aaron,

Most the areas are houses now, but there are places near the San Luis Rey that they still go to...Vessel's Stallion Ranch was/is one of them...These pictures are from our last 2 hunts on Vessel's (2015)...This spot was kept pretty close to the vest...It has since sold and the new owners are a non-hunters...:tired_face:

.DSCF0353.JPGDSCF0352.JPGDSCF0361.JPGDSCF0416.JPG

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu