TO BEGIN?

Midwest_Hunter

Mar 6, 2013
So, I went out to the range today to shoot my 30.06, and I know how expensive ammo is from the stores, I figured that I should save all my brass and look at starting to reload.

What would I need for bare essentials to even start reloading?

I have about 60 or so 30.06 brass. I figured that I would prolly start with something like this and then work into other guns I have or will acquire.

OK so after watching that video, which sorta makes it sound like its more reloading for the range, would this still work to make hunting rounds that would work in the field?

IMHO start with a RCBS master kit, If you are going to start why not start with tools you can use forever and will produce quality accurate ammo.
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/937051/rcbs-rock-chucker-supreme-master-single-stage-press-kit

You will need to get the dies for your cartridge of choice. They are universal for the most part. This will load both for the range and for hunting. once you get a rhythm down you can load at a pretty fast clip....

At the moment reloading to save big bucks is not as great a deal as it sounds once you figure in your time. Both time reloading and in time tracking down components. Primers, powder and projectiles are hard to come by. I like doing it and it's just cool to kill stuff with something you made :)

I agree with Aeon for that kit if you are going to be reloading consistently. I only figured that the Lee loader would be an initial way to start as it is only $25-$30 for the kit and you asked for the bare essentials for reloading. That RCBS kit is nice too. :)

True I did ask for bare essentials because I've never reloaded before but it would seem like a fun thing to do as well as save money. Living alone has plenty of time to do my own thing and there is only so much TV you can watch. I will have to do more research before making a final choice.

You will also need case trimming equipment. The lee case trimming equipment will work if you want to go cheap. The RCBS kit looks pretty good.

If you factor in your time, it's true that you don't save much money. But if you were just going to spend that time watching TV or movies anyway, you've lost nothing.

A few years ago, a friend and I wanted to go pig hunting here in CA. Of course, that means lead-free ammo in most pig hunting areas. I already have a load worked up for my .30-06, but he had to go buy it for his .308. It cost him $50.00 for 20 rounds for Black Hills loads, which was the only thing they had in stock! I think I loaded mine at that time for less that $.75/rd. That's a savings of $35 per box. It takes less than an hour to load that, even when hand-throwing, weighing, and trickling each and every charge. Granted, those types of savings are not to be expected on average, but $35/hr isn't anything to sneeze at.

Other examples: my favorite coyote/squirrel load is a .223 with a frangible core. I don't want ricochets flying through the desert and hitting houses, equipment, or people, so I load the Barnes Multi-Purpose Green (MPG) 55 gr. bullets. These are not cheap, at about $.30 each, not including powder and primers (I pick up .223/5.56 brass off the ground from shooting areas, ranges, friends who don’t reload, etc., so I don’t even have to pay for brass for these loads!), which bring the total up to a little over $.45/rd. You can hardly get Russian FMJ ammo for that right now! Currently, “cheap” .223 loads are going for $1.00/rd. I’m loading a 77 gr premium load for $.43/rd, and I have some 55gr SP bullets coming in which I will be able to load for $.29/rd. So I’m saving $.71/rd under current conditions. When things calm down and cheap ammo comes back down to $.40/rd, I’ll still be saving $.11/rd.

Finally, think about quality hunting loads for high-power centerfire rifles. I’ll shoot Federals or Remingtons from WalMart at deer and pigs all day long. At roughly $.85/rd, it won’t break the bank, and will put the game on the ground. But I can also handload Sierra GameKings for less than $.65/rd, and know that the loads are capable of sub-MOA if I do my job. Does that really matter? No, I don’t shoot that well anyway. But I do so anyway!

Yes, it’s harder to find reloading components right now, but that’s starting to change. Things will calm down, and you can stock up for the next big panic.

Now, if I could only figure out a way to load .22lr for $.03/rd….

I agree with Aeon star with the Rcbs kit and add other tools as needed, you will need a case trimmer at some point. no need to break the bank getting started unless you just like to spend money.

FINE FIREARMS has the RCBS Master Reloading Kit in stock as well as Tumblers, Dies, Primers, Bullets and other accessories!

Seems like an easy thing to do but also sounds like there is a lot of money being put up front to start things. I would think that buying quality the first time around would be worth it as opposed to getting cheap then upgrading later...

It depends on your budget. The Lee kits (there are two different ones) are fairly inexpensive. Not the best, but they do work. If you can, get a better kit. That RCBS kit at Fine Firearms is one of the best on the market. It's guaranteed for life and has just about everything you need in it. Call John and talk to him. I'm loading for a .223 and the cost of ammo went from about $1.00 a round to $0.36.

White Smoke said:
. That RCBS kit at Fine Firearms is one of the best on the market. It's guaranteed for life and has just about everything you need in it. Call John and talk to him. I'm loading for a .223 and the cost of ammo went from about $1.00 a round to $0.36.

I was just there yesterday talking to him. He sold me a shotgun and I didn't even think about checking on reloading equipment.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu