Took a drive to Wister

ilovesprig

Staff member
Aug 3, 2012
Escondido
Wister looks fabulous....Lots of changes to some fields, but most of the old standbys were just reworked and planted (Millet)........................:clap:

A lot of discing and mowing of tules...Spots that were virtually unhuntable look really good...Some tules will grow back with new water, but many will not...That yellow grass in the pic with water going in is a CWA project field from 3 seasons ago...That grass is timothy...One of ducks favorite foods and the field is loaded with it....... ;)

The crew at Wister have worked their collective tails off and it shows...Also, a big thank you to CWA...The moonscaped fields look barren now, but in a couple of seasons from now (or sooner)...It will pay off...Also, thank you for listening to some of us old guys and putting gravel to some of the island blinds.........:blush:

Now, if we get those 3 pintail for the 2025-26, Wister will be ready for them...............:heart:

ps....A lot of ducks already............;)

IMG_6329.JPGIMG_6324.JPGIMG_6333.pngIMG_0868 - Copy.JPGIMG_6331.JPG

Man looks great! That gravel idea to the island blinds is a great idea..I got baptized at Wister on my first ever duck hunt there..walking to an island in the dark my boot got stuck in the muck..tried maneuvering my foot out and ended up falling backwards. I was nice and soaked before the sun came up

George,

Something we've all experienced.................. :joy:

ps....The old mud stick (ski pole) and sled are lifesavers these days..........................;)

henshaw blind '22 1.JPG

How did the 312s and 413s look?

John

312B & C are moonscaped and look nothing like they used to...The only exception is 312C-1...It's the same island blind.

413 has been disced and mowed...Time will tell how much tule growth will take it back over....Looks great right now.

Man looks great! That gravel idea to the island blinds is a great idea..I got baptized at Wister on my first ever duck hunt there..walking to an island in the dark my boot got stuck in the muck..tried maneuvering my foot out and ended up falling backwards. I was nice and soaked before the sun came up
Lol I think I was there

I escaped Kali too. Wister is literally the only thing I miss from that God forsaken hell hole.

We just got back from el centro stopped across from Wister check station. Few birds flying. Came home to beat heat and traffic. Going in Pool 104 today here in Wood;and Hills.m Ended up with 12 dove 1 rabbit one pigeon. Lost birds to canal and could not find.

Reactions: ilovesprig
We just got back from el centro stopped across from Wister check station. Few birds flying. Came home to beat heat and traffic. Going in Pool 104 today here in Wood;and Hills.m Ended up with 12 dove 1 rabbit one pigeon. Lost birds to canal and could not find.

I always carry a super long handled fishing net to get those birds out of canals................ ;)

Thanks for scouting the refuge Steve, the crew is working hard and it shows. The refuge looks great. I was wondering if you got a peak at the sea and how much further it has dropped.

The sea is dieing, lack of water. They are removing the contamination, poisons and not what not from the new river.
Last update it's been awhile.
Is the water still flowing into it.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu