Total Newbie

KayakAngler

Sep 19, 2018
Hi everyone,

I've recently acquired a keen interest in hunting, but I am a total newbie. By that I mean BRAND new - I don't even own a gun yet. I'm currently half-way through the Hunter's Education Course that is required for a license in California (completed the online portion and scheduled the in-class portion for mid-Oct '18). Anyway, I've been doing a ton of research on all aspects of hunting/shooting, and I have found this forum and its members to be extremely helpful. So, a big thank you to everyone! I'll try not to ask too many stupid questions.

After I complete the Hunter's Ed course I plan on purchasing a shotgun since I'm most interested in waterfowl and dove. I plan on doing a lot of range practice before attempting to hunt, and don't necessarily count on being ready for the '18/'19 season given all that I still have to learn.

By the way, I've been an avid salt water kayak fisherman in SD for about 7 years now, and I'd be happy to share any info on that sport should anyone need it.

KA,

Welcome to SCH.....One suggestion would be,.....READ THE REGULAIONS THOURHLY.....As you're aware, each game species has it's own regulations.....So there's about 3 or 4 booklets.....Carry them with you.

ps.....No such thing as a stupid question

Hi everyone,

I've recently acquired a keen interest in hunting, but I am a total newbie. By that I mean BRAND new - I don't even own a gun yet. I'm currently half-way through the Hunter's Education Course that is required for a license in California (completed the online portion and scheduled the in-class portion for mid-Oct '18). Anyway, I've been doing a ton of research on all aspects of hunting/shooting, and I have found this forum and its members to be extremely helpful. So, a big thank you to everyone! I'll try not to ask too many stupid questions.

After I complete the Hunter's Ed course I plan on purchasing a shotgun since I'm most interested in waterfowl and dove. I plan on doing a lot of range practice before attempting to hunt, and don't necessarily count on being ready for the '18/'19 season given all that I still have to learn.

By the way, I've been an avid salt water kayak fisherman in SD for about 7 years now, and I'd be happy to share any info on that sport should anyone need it.
Hi KayakAngler

Outstanding , getting range time
And professional instructions is a good start. Just a reminder
Any firearm is all ways loaded.
Do not point at something unless
That is you plan to shoot.
Targets, game e.g.
And like Ilovesprig said there is no
Dumb questions. This is a well rounded hard core hunters from
All walks of life.
Ask any and all questions.
Good idea to start with small game
And work your way up . Join NWTF
And other organizations. Especially
The NRA.
It would be good to start with a rim fire rifle , such as a 22lr and shot gun
Start from there. Most of started as kids this way. Ask the guys here of the equipment you interested to start with. Times have changed but
The minimal start would be good knife, good binoculars, and a firearm. ask the guys here about back packs. And other equipment.
Just to start.
OnXHunt app for your smart phone.
Buy the hard copy of the NF maps.
Depending what area you will hunt.
Good Luck & Fortune
LB

Welcome to SCH. What shotguns are you looking at? Always wanted to get into yak fishing and diving but just never invested. No room for new hobbies at this point unfortunately.. can barely stick with this hunting one of mine.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
I have a long list, but haven't had time to really research. I got this list from the YouTube channel Outdoor Limits. A big question I have is, are pump actions OK for duck hunting, or is a semi a "must" for duck. I really don't want to break the bank on my first gun, so leaning toward pump.

Semi-Automatic
  • Super Black Eagle
  • Browning A5
  • Baretta A300
  • Stoeger M3500
Pump Action
  • Mossberg 500
  • Bonelli Supernova (or Nova)
  • Remmington 870
  • Stoeger P350
  • Winchester XSP

Reactions: longbowhunter2
I have a long list, but haven't had time to really research. I got this list from the YouTube channel Outdoor Limits. A big question I have is, are pump actions OK for duck hunting, or is a semi a "must" for duck. I really don't want to break the bank on my first gun, so leaning toward pump.

Semi-Automatic
  • Super Black Eagle
  • Browning A5
  • Baretta A300
  • Stoeger M3500
Pump Action
  • Mossberg 500
  • Bonelli Supernova (or Nova)
  • Remmington 870
  • Stoeger P350
  • Winchester XSP
All good options, but wide price range there. To the semi-auto list I'd add the Franchi Affinity... that's what I shoot and love it. Couldn't afford the SBE.

When I first started hunting I wasn't sure if I'd stick with it so I got a Rem 870. About a year into it, loving hunting, I started wishing I'd got a semi-auto. So I'd say get the semi if you're fairly certain you'll be hunting regularly. Pumps are solid though.. reliable and often used in the duck blind, although yes most guys I know do shoot semis. Only thing I'd say is the 870 Express is pretty rough cycling.. so if you're not good with a Dremel to smooth out the action, maybe consider a 'true' 870 or another pump model. But if you're gonna spend $500-700 on a nicer pump, you might as well spend $800 on an Affinity semi.

All good options, but wide price range there. To the semi-auto list I'd add the Franchi Affinity... that's what I shoot and love it. Couldn't afford the SBE.

When I first started hunting I wasn't sure if I'd stick with it so I got a Rem 870. About a year into it, loving hunting, I started wishing I'd got a semi-auto. So I'd say get the semi if you're fairly certain you'll be hunting regularly. Pumps are solid though.. reliable and often used in the duck blind, although yes most guys I know do shoot semis. Only thing I'd say is the 870 Express is pretty rough cycling.. so if you're not good with a Dremel to smooth out the action, maybe consider a 'true' 870 or another pump model. But if you're gonna spend $500-700 on a nicer pump, you might as well spend $800 on an Affinity semi.

Awesome tips! Thank you.

Reactions: longbowhunter2
Besides the good advice from Jason Only advice I can add, is this.
Go to the gun range and try before you buy, like PK2000. Not all shotguns are equal to each person.
It has to feel comfortable, and swing Gracefully. Is the stock the right distance. Are you comfortable holding it. If you have the pocket book, buy the best you can afford.
Because this will be an investment.
It must be a comfortable, reliable shotgun.
I got lucky and started with a Winchester that fit me well.
And had many years of hunting upland and small game.
Most here recommend a modified choke.
It depends on the game you are after. Duck, turkey, quail, dove.
Also importantly the size of the chamber. 3 inch or 3 1/2 inch
LB

Last edited:
Stoeger 3000 or 3500 are both priced about the same as most decent pumps....Poor man's SBE, but are made better now (part of the Benelli/Beretta line of guns).

Original 870's are great.....Just a little hard to find and most are 2 3/4"

Last edited:
You are not alone kayakangler!!! I started last year to get back into the game, I used to hunt in my country of origin and the regulations are totally different.
Like many here said, there are not stupid questions, just imaging making a mistake by ignoring something and then tell me how you will feel about it.
I would recommend to start by joining our local NWTF chapter, You will meet a lot of good people there that will answer your questions and give you directions.
Then, like a few said, get the OnX maps app. Also get paper maps, Plan drives to the Cleveland National Forest and get off your vehicle. Walk the trails, look for game signs and put pins on your maps. You will find out that there are places that will take your breath away and that you never thought that they existed.
Gun wise, buy the best you can afford. I own a CZ-912 semi and I am happy with it, I didn't break the bank when I bought it. Whatever you buy, get very familiar with the way it works ( for safety).
Welcome and good luck.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu