Traeger Smokers

White Smoke

Black powder rules!
May 2, 2011
Encinitas, CA
If you want to get into smoking, look at the Costco Special Events schedules for Traeger Grills. They are some of the best. Since I live in a condo, I have a small one, the Junior Elite 20, but man does it cook! I also just picked up a bag of their Big Game pellets, which are red and white oak infused with rosemary. Talk about a perfect wood combination for wild game...as the name implies. Costco also has PRIME briskets for $2.79 pound. Doing one for my granddaughters first birthday party. That will be about a 22-hour smoke! Yahoo!

I got a Green Mountain Grills Daniel Boone pellet smoker for Christmas. I like it a lot, though I've had a few problems. Support has been great over the phone and with replacement parts. Has anyone had to clear the auger on his Traeger? I made the mistake of smoking outside when it was raining. The pellets in the hopper got wet and turned to cement, jamming the auger. I had to replace the entire assembly. Lesson learned: keep the pellets dry and don't run it even in a light drizzle.

Bonejour said:
I got a Green Mountain Grills Daniel Boone pellet smoker for Christmas. I like it a lot, though I've had a few problems. Support has been great over the phone and with replacement parts. Has anyone had to clear the auger on his Traeger? I made the mistake of smoking outside when it was raining. The pellets in the hopper got wet and turned to cement, jamming the auger. I had to replace the entire assembly. Lesson learned: keep the pellets dry and don't run it even in a light drizzle.
I have a Traeger and keep my pellets in individual 15lb weatherproof dog food storage containers (they're the best. Check here: https://www.chewy.com/gamma2-vittles-vault-plus-pet-food/dp/101382). No auger issues , as the auger is set in intermittent time intervals (15sec on 65 sec off for low heat, longer intervals for higher heat) to keep the heat low enough for smoke to do its magic. Just got it a week ago so I am still messing around with it to test its limits. Wild boar shoulder going in on Saturday. When are we going shooting, Don? I feel like we have some predator management long overdue...

I keep my bags of pellets dry but it was the hopper that let the moisture in. Afterward, I read the instructions and disclaimers
Something about the unit being "weather resistant, not weather proof."
PS I'll text you. Def want to get out for predators ASAP.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu