Transporting waterfowl

dhntr48

Oct 7, 2015
What do you guys do when you head for home , and you have a few ducks . Do you pack them on ice , then clean them when you get home ? Will they cool ok with the feathers on ? I think on hot days you would want to cool the game asap ! I'm thinking you have to bring it back whole to the check station , but after that can you remove some feathers from the bird for better cooling . I hate to waste any thing !

dhntr48 said:
What do you guys do when you head for home , and you have a few ducks . Do you pack them on ice , then clean them when you get home ? Will they cool ok with the feathers on ? I think on hot days you would want to cool the game asap ! I'm thinking you have to bring it back whole to the check station , but after that can you remove some feathers from the bird for better cooling . I hate to waste any thing !

Put them on ice and clean them at home. They cool just fine with the feathers on. Some of these guys will age the duck with the guts in it in the fridge for a few days. I pluck and dress my birds once I get home. As long as you aren't letting them sit out in the sun, a few hours before getting on ice isn't going to hurt.

Hi everyone. Longtime lurker, first time poster.

I actually age most of my birds, meaning I'll hang them up in a cool dry place (usually my garage) for 2 or 3 days before I breast out or pluck my ducks. Getting them on ice in the first 24 hours is not imperative as long as they aren't sittiing direct sunlight or an unusually warm place. I find aging my birds makes the meat a little richer in flavor, and more tender than a bird of the same species who gets processed right after being shot. Bear in mind- every bird is different.

Sometimes when I'm lazy or busy, I just throw the whole bird in the freezer and don't process them until up to about a month later.

If you are new to eating wild duck, try not to overcook them. Unlike chicken, they are generally safe to eat cooked at a medium or medium-rare (my personal favorite).

For transport keep a wing or head on the bird. I usually leave both wings on so the sharp bones don't put holes in the bag. Breast out when you get home, pat dry, smear em with Mayo, put em on the bbq with lemon pepper and garlic salt. Cut em up and put em in a burrito.

Don't over think it. It is not a big game animal with large organs that can spoil the meat in a short time.

Listen to poorrichrichard. Aging is great for the birds. Just keep them out of any direct sunlight.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

So if I hunt ducks one day and spend the night to do quail the next day . The ducks will be ok in the ice chest that's good to know .

dhntr48 said:
So if I hunt ducks one day and spend the night to do quail the next day . The ducks will be ok in the ice chest that's good to know .

I've even left them in an ice chest for 4 day- the ice compleatly melted, and they were just sitting in cold water.
They breasted out fine.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu