Tree stand or Spot & Stalk

G

Goyaałé

What's the preferred to method? Mainly I am asking public land bow hunters.. Why do you prefer one over the other. Just curious. I plan on doing both this season. Wondering if I should just stick to one. I have a spot that i think they are coming in at evening time. Last year anyways. Lol Maybe try to sit in the tree in the evening. Spot and stalk morning.. Need advice .. Hope All Is well with everyone.. Have a great wekend

No easy answer. Tree stands if in a good spot. Can be very productive. If takes lots of patience. And its best to have multiple stands. Repeated use will leave to much scent and deer will avoid it. And will pattern you. Then there's the people screw with your stuff on public land. Be prepared to have stuff stolen or malicious damage.
Spot and Stalk with a bow is tough but not impossible. Problem with most hunters is they go to fast, and make to much noise. Spot stalk takes healthy skill level and is done often.

Reactions: Goyaałé
No easy answer. Tree stands if in a good spot. Can be very productive. If takes lots of patience. And its best to have multiple stands. Repeated use will leave to much scent and deer will avoid it. And will pattern you. Then there's the people screw with your stuff on public land. Be prepared to have stuff stolen or malicious damage.
Spot and Stalk with a bow is tough but not impossible. Problem with most hunters is they go to fast, and make to much noise. Spot stalk takes healthy skill level and is done often.
Thank you sir. I plan on hunting both methods this coming season. I want make the most of my time in the field.

Spot and stalk was good on high winds when deer cant listen well , but I prefer treestands you can see more animals in a day , the problem on treestands is how patience do you have , to be there 6 or 7 hours.

Don't make eye contact, don't walk like a human and of course play the wind.

Depends on the area and conditions at the time. Slower is best unless your running out of day light.

I hate treestands, WT hunting did me in when I was younger but it does work but you need more than one

The one thing that does work is scouting. Find the deer and watch were they bed & feed then you have a much better chance of closing the deal.

Can't wait for D16....I hope pale face & blackie are still alive

short story: depends on the type of area you are hunting and how well you know it. I hunt both ways and find standing hunting easier, but spot & stalk more exciting and much harder

@MJB & @sportyg Thank you for the response guys. I greatly appreciate it!! I will be attempting both this season. I plan on staying out there 3 days and 2 nights at a time. I know it will be difficult, but my mama always told me "anything good doesn't come easy".... I've worked hard my whole life and I don't know any other way... Although I take this very serious. It's all fun to me..... Have a great evening

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu